Unskilled workers and a household service workers seeking employment abroad should furnish (in original) the following documents at the time of obtaining emigration clearance:
- Passport valid for a minimum period of six months
- Valid employment visa.
- Employment contract signed by the foreign employer and duly attested by the Indian Mission or permission letter from the Indian Mission/post concerned.
- Challan towards deposit of prescribed fee
- Insurance policy (from any of the listed companies under Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY-2006 revised in 2008)
Subject to other provisions of the Emigration Act 1983, the PoE may reject an application for emigration clearance on any one or more of the following grounds:
- That the terms and conditions of employment which the applicant proposes to take up are discriminatory or exploitative.
- That the employment which the applicant proposes to take up involves work of a nature which is unlawful according to the laws of India or goes against the public policy of India or violates the norms of human dignity and decency.
- That the applicant will have to work or live in sub-standard working or living conditions.
- That having regard to the prevailing circumstances in the country or place where the applicant proposes to take up employment or any other relevant circumstances, it would not be in the interest of the applicant to emigrate.
- That no provision or arrangement has been made for meeting the expenses which may be incurred in case it becomes necessary to arrange for the repatriation to India of the applicant, or that the provisions or arrangements made in this regard are not adequate for the purpose.