For registration of a plant variety the following prerequisites has to be completed –
- Denomination assigned to such variety.
- Accompanied by an affidavit that variety does not contain any gene or gene sequences involving terminator technology.
- Complete passport data of parental lines from which the variety has been derived along with its geographical location in India and all such information relating to the contribution if any, of any farmer (s), village, community, institution or organization etc in breeding, evolving or developing the variety.
- Characteristics of variety with description for Novelty, Distinctiveness, Uniformity and Stability.
- A declaration that the genetic material used for breeding of such variety has been lawfully acquired.
- A breeder or other person making application for registration shall disclose the use of genetic material conserved by any tribal or rural families for improvement of such variety.