Following are the steps in the registration process –
- File a patent application in the IPO
- Patent application is published after 18 months or one has to request for early publication
- File a request for examination along with requisite fees within 48 months from date of filing-without the request the application will not be examined (Form 18)
- First Examination Report (FER) is issued if Patent office is not satisfied
- 12 months time to respond to the FER
- Pre-grant opposition can be filed by any person after the date of publication of application but before the grant of patent
- If requirements are satisfied, patent will be granted and notified in the Patent Office Journal.
A Patent is an exclusive monopoly rights granted by the Government to an inventor over his invention for a limited period of time. Patent is recognition to the form of intellectual property manifested in invention.