- It confers legal protection to Pochampally Ikat in India.
- Prevents unauthorized use of Pochampally Ikat by others.
- Registration affords better legal protection to facilitate an action for infringement.
- The registered proprietor and authorized users can initiate infringement actions.
- The authorized users can exercise the exclusive right to use the geographical indication.
- It promotes economic prosperity of producers of goods produced in a geographical territory.
A geographical indication (GI) is a sign used on products that have a specific geographical origin and possess qualities or a reputation that are due to that origin. In order to function as a GI, a sign must identify a product as originating in a given place.
In addition, the qualities, characteristics or reputation of the product should be essentially due to the place of origin. Since the qualities depend on the geographical place of production, there is a clear link between the product and its original place of production.