The emergence of the social welfare has affected the democracies very profoundly. It has led to state activism. There has occurred a phenomenal increase in the area of sate operation; it has taken over a number of functions, which were previously left to private enterprise. The state today pervades every aspect of human life.
The functions of a modern state may broadly be placed into five categories, viz, the state as:-
- Economic controller
Administration is the all-pervading feature of life today. The province of administration is wide and embrace following things within its ambit:-
- It makes policies
- It provides leadership to the legislature
- It executes and administers the law
- It takes manifold decisions
- It exercises today not only the traditional functions of administration, but other varied types of functions as well
- It exercises legislative power and issues a plethora of rules, bye- laws and orders of a general nature.