A geographical indication (GI) is a name or sign used on certain products which corresponds to a specific geographical location or origin (e.g. a town, region, or country). The use of a geographical indication may act as a certification that the product possesses certain qualities, is made according to traditional methods, or enjoys a certain reputation, due to its geographical origin.
Registrations for GIs are not necessary, however the organizations or companies who register their geographical indications obtain numerous benefits of the registration including:
- Registered geographical indications have the exclusive right to exploit or use the GIs’ products in the course of trade.
- The authorized users are allowed to issue infringements
- It confers legal protection to Geographical Indications in India
- Prevents unauthorized use of a Registered Geographical Indication by others
- It provides legal protection to Indian Geographical Indications which in turn boost exports.
- It promotes economic prosperity of producers of goods produced in a geographical territory.