What can a party to an Arbitration agreement do if the other party to the Arbitration agreement institutes a suit in a Court of Law praying for decision on matters, which are covered by the Arbitration agreement ?

This situation very often used to arise and the other party had no option but to make an application for the stay of the suit under Section 34 of the old Act. If a party commenced a suit and gave notice there of to the other side all further proceedings in Arbitration would become void and ineffective and the award made after such notice would have been void.The 1996 Act has ameliorated the situation to a great extent. It has been provided under Section 8(3) that not with his tending the issue is pending before the Judicial Authority, an Arbitration may be commenced or continue an Arbitral award made.The further step that is required is to make an application before the Judicial Authority before which an action is brought in a matter which is the subject of an Arbitration agreement and the court shall, if a party so applies not later than when submitting his first statement on the substance of the dispute, refer the party to a Arbitration. This application as aforesaid shall not be entertained unless it is accompanied by the original Arbitration agreement or a duly certified copy thereof. Notwithstanding that an application has been made under sub-section 8(1) before the Judicial Authority and that the issue is pending before the Judicial Authority, an arbitration may be commenced or continue and an arbitral award made