- It identifies the source of the goods/manufacturers.
- It acts as prime instrument in advertising and selling the goods.
- A registered trademark gives the right to exclusive use of the mark.
- A registered trademark serves as a proof of certificate in court proceedings.
Trademark means a mark capable of being represented graphically and which is capable of distinguishing the goods or services of one person from those of other and may include shape of goods, their packaging and combination of colours; and
- In relation to Chapter XII (other than section 107), a registered trade mark or a mark used in relation to goods or services for the purpose of indicating or so as to indicate a connection in the course of trade between the goods or services, as the case may be, and some person having the right as proprietor to use the mark and
- In relation to other provisions of this Act, a mark used or proposed to be used in relation to goods or services for the purpose of indicating or so to indicate a connection in the course of trade between the goods or services, as the case may be, and some person having the right, either as proprietor or by way of permitted user, to use the mark whether with or without any indication of the identity of that person, and includes a certification trade mark or collective mark.