Using Section 154 of the Criminal Procedure Code, 1973, you can file an FIR. The procedure of filing an FIR is following –
- When information about the commission of a cognizable offence is given orally, the police must write it down.
- It is your right as a person giving information or making a complaint to demand that the information recorded by the police is read over to you.
- Once the information has been recorded by the police, it must be signed by the person giving the information.
- You should sign the report only after verifying that the information recorded by the police is as per the details given by you.
- People who cannot read or write must put their left thumb impression on the document after being satisfied that it is a correct record. * Always ask for a copy of the FIR, if the police do not give it to you. It is your right to get it free of cost.