Posted On by &filed under .

civil_lawMarriage, divorce, custody and maintenance are mainly governed by the religion of the parties to the marriage. If both parties belong to the same religion, one of the following Acts would apply, only if the particular procedure as prescribed in that law is followed to make the marriage solemnised –

  • if they are Christians, The Indian Divorce Act, 1869 and the Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872;
  • if they are Parsis, the Parsi Marriage and Divorce Act, 1936;
  • if they are Hindus, the Hindu code comprising the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act, 1956, the Hindu Minority and Guardianship act, 1956, and the Hindu Succession Act, 1956. The term ‘Hindu’ in these Acts applies to Buddhists, Sikhs and Jains, or in other words, all those who are not Muslim, Christian, Parsi or Jew;
  • if they are Muslims, the Muslim Personal law (Shariat) Application Act, 1937, the Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act, 1939 and the Muslim Women (Protection of Rights on Divorce) Act, 1986.

One Response to “Which law applies in a matrimonial dispute case?”

  1. saraswati

    meri sadhi 10 march -2016 main delhi main huvi mere father or brother meri shadi forcefully karvya kyu ki mera brother bhabhi muje nahi pasand karta or mere father ki dursri shadi ho raki hai meri mother 1st wife thi mere jis ladke k sath huvi hai vo belkul settle nahi hai. mai ye janan chahti hu mere ghar walo ne meri sahdi jabardasti karvayi mai apne sasural main bhi kush nahi hu. mai apne pati se divorce chahati hu, mere husband or meri family wale muje force kar rahe hai ki muje mere husband k sath rahne k liye main kya karu.
    1- kya main apne father k pass wapas a sakti hu ?
    2- mere father k properly main mera rights hai?
    3-kya apne father se or husband se properly main claim kar sakti hu?
    4-mere father ki properly pustanaani property nahi hai vo unki kudh ki properly hai ?
    5- meri sadhi 10-march -2016 ko huvi hai kya main divorce applie kar sakti hu
    6- agar mere father apni property main muje hissa na dena chahe or apne pass muje rakna nahi chahte to main kya kar sakti hu?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *