Why are almost all the countries signing Free Trade Agreements?

Countries negotiate Free trade Agreements for a number of reasons – By eliminating tariffs and some non-tariff barriers FTA partners get easier market access into one another’s markets. Exporters prefer FTAs to multilateral trade liberalization because they get preferential treatment over non-FTA member country competitors. For example in the case of ASEAN, ASEAN has an […]

How is CECA/CEPA different from FTA?

A Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) or a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) is different from a traditional Free Trade Agreement (FTA) on two counts. Firstly, CECA/CEPA are more comprehensive and ambitious that an FTA in terms of coverage of areas and the type of commitments. While a traditional FTA focuses mainly on goods; a […]

What are FTA?

FTA stands for Free Trade Agreements. FTAs are arrangements between two or more countries or trading blocs that primarily agree to reduce or eliminate customs tariff and non tariff barriers on substantial trade between them. FTAs, normally cover trade in goods (such as agricultural or industrial products) or trade in services (such as banking, construction, […]

How can I learn more about filing a petition in international trade?

Antidumping and countervailing duty trade remedies have been successfully pursued by a variety of domestic industries, including producers of steel, industrial equipment, computer chips, agricultural products, textiles, chemicals, and consumer products. Both the Import Administration and the International Trade Commission have staff available to assist domestic industries in deciding whether there is sufficient evidence to […]

What are some common trade problems MAC can help in U.S. businesses overcome?

MAC provides help with the following common trade problems through the Trade Compliance Center: Tariff and customs barriers Service barriers Standards, testing, labeling, or certification barriers Rules of origin Government procurement contract barriers Intellectual property protection problems Excessive government requirements Excessive testing or licensing fees Bribery Investment MAC’s services are free of charge to all […]

How can I locate importers, distributors, sales reps, etc. in an overseas market?

The U.S. Commercial Service has programs and services to help you locate potential business partners overseas. Contact your nearest U.S. Export Assistance Center and speak with an International Trade Specialist. You can also receive free export counseling and learn more about our programs and services to help you compete around the globe. Call 1-800-USA-TRAD(E) or […]

What can Market Access and Compliance (MAC) do to help your business?

After you contact our Trade Compliance Center or the country desk in one of our regional offices, MAC will evaluate whether the problem is a market access issue or a compliance problem with an existing trade agreement. MAC will establish a team of experts on the country, the industry, the trade agreement, and other needed […]

What is Intellectual property rights in trade related aspects of intellectual property rights?

Minimum level of intellectual property rights which must be provided by all member states – Reduction of distortion and impediments to international trade – Effective and adequate protection of IPRs – Ensure that measures and procedures of enforcing IPRs do not themselves become barriers to legitimate trade – Promotion of technological innovation – Transfer and […]

What is general agreement on trade in services?

Enhanced “trade-ability” of services ƒ A landmark achievement of the Uruguay Round (1995) ƒ Aim: To establish a multilateral framework to promote orderly and transparent trade and investment liberalization in services ƒ Comprehensive legal framework of rules and disciplines covering 12 classified sectors with 160 sub-sectors ƒ The GATS defines services trade as occurring via […]

I’m shipping my product to Canada. How do I fill out a NAFTA Certificate of Origin? Are there other documents to be filled out?

Your shipment may need a NAFTA Certificate of Origin and a Shipper’s Export Declaration. To learn more about export documentation, please visit Export.gov to learn more. The U.S. Commercial Service’s Trade Information Center or the trade specialists at your local Export Assistance Center can also help answer these questions. Call 1-800-USA-TRAD(E) or find your local […]