The Delhi High Court Wednesday accepted the Delhi Development Authority’s (DDA) proposal to give residential plots on priority to the Sep 7 Delhi blast injured who are eligible under a 1981 scheme launched in north Delhi’s Rohini neighbourhood.
The court asked the housing agency to file details of its policy on the out-of-turn allotment to blast victims.
DDA counsel Rajiv Bansal submitted before the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna that those injured seriously during the blast last week would be given special consideration in giving possession of plots.
The submission was made during the hearing of a petition filed by a plot applicant and litigant Rahul Gupta, who received minor injuries in the blast at the high court.
Gupta’s 60-year-old friend, Vipin Kumar Gautam, a travel agent from central Delhi’s Jhandewalan area, lost his left leg due to amputation after the blast.
Gupta requested the bench that his friend should be given a plot as soon as possible.
Chief Justice Misra said: “The DDA should file an affidavit with a comprehensive policy on their out-of-turn allotment plan.”
“The DDA shall come with a comprehensive policy to deal with applicants, who were injured in Sep 7 high court blast when they came to court to attend the hearing,” he said.
DDA Vice Chairman G.S. Patnaik earlier filed an affidavit before the bench saying that the entire process up to the stage of handing over physical possession of plots to the eligible applicants would be completed by 2013.
Taking note of the affidavit, the bench asked DDA counsel how would the agency compensate those people waiting since 1981. “How will you compensate, you need to decide about them also,” said the bench.
The DDA affidavit said that all residential pockets to clear the backlog of Rohini Residential Scheme had been identified in sectors 28, 29, 30, 34, 35, 36 and 37.
Nearly 25,000 people applied for middle-income, low-income and Janata (poor) category plots of the Rohini Residential Scheme 1981.