Posted On by &filed under Top Law News.

Even as the deadlock between the Gujjars and the government over the quota issue persisted for the 13th day on Saturday, Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot ruled their demand for per cent reservation in state government jobs, saying the government will work according to the guidelines of the High Court.

“The government will not bring new reservation bill in the assembly while it will work according to the guidelines of the High Court,” said Gehlot making a fresh appeal to the Gujjar leaders to call off their agitation from immediate effect.

He further said that he is really disappointed with Friday’s development, where a 21-member Gujjar delegation was scheduled to meet him on the issue of finding some solutions.

Earlier today, the Gujjars carried on with their demands for the intervention of Congress leaders from their community before holding fresh parleys.

Gujjars stepped up their agitation following a Rajasthan High Court order, which ruled members of the community could not be given special reservation in government jobs.

The agitation, which began in 2007, has claimed over 70 lives so far.

A year ago, Gujjars in Rajasthan fought police and members of another caste that already qualified for job reservations.

After the protests, the State government said it would spend Rs 2.8 billion on improving schools, clinics, roads and other infrastructure in Gujjar areas. But Gujjars rejected this option

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of