The Punjab and Haryana High Court Thursday questioned the Haryana government on the action planned against rioters who damaged property in Hisar district earlier this week while demanding reservations in jobs and educational institutions.
A division bench of Chief Justice Mukul Mudgal and Justice Ajay Tewari issued notice to the government on a public suit filed by Ludhiana-based NGO Anti-Corruption Federation of India.
The petitioner demanded that a court commissioner be appointed to assess the loss caused during the violence Monday and Tuesday and this should be recovered from the rioters, who can be easily identified in the video footage of the incidents.
Members of the All India Jat Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti had gone on the rampage Monday and Tuesday, targeting government and private property. They were seeking reservations in government jobs and educational institutions. They were also demanding other backward class (OBC) status.
However, they suspended the protests after an assurance by the Haryana government late Tuesday.
Following the violence, Hisar Superintendent of Police Subhash Yadav was removed from his post late Monday.
‘We have also raised questions over the grant of compensation to the rioter who lost his life in the violence. If he was part of the rioters, under no stretch of imagination can he be compensated. Although the death is unfortunate, but his act cannot be ignored,’ said Vaibhav Jain, advocate of the petitioner.
‘Compensation should be given only after a thorough enquiry,’ he said.
Issuing notice, the bench directed the Haryana government to inform it what action was being taken against the rioters as many of them could be easily recognised from the photographs in the newspapers as well as from TV footage.
The next date of hearing is Sep 30.