Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy Saturday told a special court hearing the 2G spectrum allocation case that he wanted to file an additional private complaint on the Aircel-Maxis deal, in which Home Minister P. Chidambaram is alleged to have a role.
Swamy sought time from special Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) judge O.P. Saini for the purpose, saying that order on his plea seeking Chidambaram as a co-accused in the case is pending in Supreme Court and he also wants to file an additional complaint on the Aircel-Maxis deal. Judge Saini listed the matter for further hearing Aug 25.
“My matter is partially different from the CBI’s case. In the Aircel-Maxis matter, there is a separate case by the CBI. The Supreme Court has said that scope of the probe should be widened… I wish to file an additional complaint case before this court,” Swamy said. The CBI is currently investigating the alleged role of then telecom minister Dayanidhi Maran in the Aircel-Maxis deal.
Swamy told Saini that there was something also related to the Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB), which was under the chairmanship of Chidambaram, the finance minister from 2004 to 2008, in the deal.
Swamy had earlier told the Supreme Court that the CBI probe into the Aircel-Maxis deal was focused only on Maran’s role in arm-twisting Aircel’s owner to sell his stake to the Malaysian firm Maxis. On Feb 4, the special court has rejected his plea seeking Chidambaram as a co-accused in the the 2G scam.
According to the government auditor, former telecom minister A. Raja was biased while distributing mobile airwaves and operating licences to telecom firms, causing a loss of up to Rs.1.76 lakh crore in lost revenues to the treasury.
A total of 19 individuals, including Raja, and six companies are accused in the two separate case.
Punjab Newsline Network