Central Information Commission CIC/AD/C/2009/001098 Dated August 9, 2010 Name of the Applicant : Shri Basudev Thakur Name of the Public Authority : M/o Railways Background
1. The Applicant filed an RTI application dt.20.4.09 with the PIO, M/o Railways requesting for
information against 5 points relating to his service record. Shri V.K.Samuel, APIO transferred the RTI
application to CPIO, Northern Railway HQ on 28.5.09. The CPIO, Northern Railway HQ further transferred the
RTI application to DRM Office, Northern Railway, Ambala on 4.6.09 On not receiving any reply from the DRM’s
office, the Applicant filed a complaint dt.24.6.09 before CIC. The Commission vide its order dt.14.6.10
directed the PIO to provide complete information by 30.7.10 and also to appear before the Commission on
9.8.10 at 11.30 am along with all the relevant files/documents and also with the response to the showcause
notice issued to him vide the order mentioned hereinabove. The Commission received a rejoinder dt.19.7.10
from Shri T.R.Sharsar, PIO, DRM Office, Northern Railway, Ambala who stated that the RTI application was
received on 4.6.09 from Northern Railway HQ and that the same was forwarded to Sr.DPO on 8.6.09 and by
Sr.DPO to Sr.DENII, Ambala on 10.6.09. The reply was received from Sr.DENII, Ambala on 1.7.09 and
complete information was forwarded to the Applicant on 3.7.09. He also enclosed a copy of the reply
provided along with his rejoinder.
2. The Bench of Mrs. Annapurna Dixit, Information Commissioner, scheduled the hearing for August 9,
3. Shri T.R.Sharsar, Sr.DMM, Ambala and Shri Rakesh Kumar, SO/RTI represented the Public
4. The Applicant was present during the hearing.
5. Shri Sharsar, PIO, Ambala submitted that the Complainant had not worked under SE/P.Way/BTI from
the year 1979 to 1990, as claimed by him . The Complainant refuted this statement by producing a
letter written by the then PWI Shri Hukam Chand before the Commission, clearly indicating the fact
that the Complainant had indeed worked in the Bhatinda office during the said period and that
genuine efforts had not been made to locate the service book of the Complainant. When the
Commission pointed this out to the Respondents, the PIO Ambala stated that the Sr.DENII, Ambala
had given the reply that he had personally inspected the records and that the Complainant’s service
book was not available in them. Shri Sharsar also added that Sr.DENII had not come for the hearing
despite directions issued to him. The concerned authorities in the office may take up this issue and
take appropriate action against the Sr. DENII, Ambala.
6. The Commission after hearing the submission from both parties advises the Appellant to inform the
PIO, DRM Office, Northern Railway, Ambala the dates on which he had worked during that period
and directs the Sr.DENII, Ambala and the PIO Bhatinda provide the service book to the
Complainant as sought by him and in the event it cannot be located, to reconstruct the service book
and provide the same to the Appellant by 15.9.10 and the Complainant to submit a compliance report
to the Commission by 16.9.10.
7. Since there is no fee payable at the appeal stage , the IPO No.78E 395469 for Rs.10/ is being
returned to the complainant.
8. The Commission ordered accordingly.
Authenticated true copy:
1. Shri Basudev Thakur (along with IPO No.78E 395469)
S/o Late Parmeswar Thakur
2. The PIO
Ministry of Railways
3. Officer incharge, NIC