Article 370 Abrogation: Amit Shah meets National Security Advisor Ajit Doval to analyse security situation

On Monday, Home Minister Amit Shah met National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba to review the situation in Jammu & Kashmir, news agency PTI reported.

Doval had recently returned from J&K after the Government decided to scrap Article 370 that gave special status to the state.

While he was there for a 10-day stay, he traveled across the valley to reach out to people and get a sense of the pain points that can be addressed and held coordination meetings with the top army and paramilitary commanders.

The current situation is that in Kashmir schools were opened. Teachers made it to the schools but not many students turned up. Private schools though remained shut for the 15th consecutive day.

J&K Chief Secretary BVR Subrahmanyam had said on Friday that schools will be opened after the weekend as the Government didn’t want the study of children to suffer. The Government has asked its employees to report to duty and arranged for transport.

Top Officials said that if the opening of primary schools was successful, it will be followed by middle and higher secondary schools. They have already made a list of schools to be opened.

Government Spokesman and Principal Secretary (planning) Rohit Kansal said the Govt was planning to reopen over 190 primary schools in Srinagar.

“We hope to restore full functionality to government offices. You have to give us an opportunity to start schools. We promise we will do step by step and slowly but surely,” he had said.

PTI reported that markets in the Valley though remained shut on Monday while public transport remained off roads. The movement of private vehicles in the city increased after restrictions were eased.

The Government restored services in 17 telephone exchanges in Kashmir and mobile internet in five districts on Jammu region.

Complaint filed in Sitamarhi court against Amit Shah

Sitamarhi: A complaint was filed on Monday in a court here against BJP president Amit Shah seeking registration of a case against him for sedition and other charges over his remarks in connection with the Supreme Court order on the Sabarimala issue.

The complaint was filed by social activist Thakur Chandan Singh in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Saroj Kumari here.

The court fixed November 6 for hearing the mat.

Shah’s comment made in the context of Sabarimala “has hurt the people’s sentiments and is an attack on federal democratic structure of the country,” the complaint alleged, citing newspapers report on Sunday regarding the BJP chief’s comments.

The complainant prayed for initiating case against Shah under various sections of IPC that included- 124A (sedition), 120B (criminal conspiracy) and 295 (injuring or defiling place of worship with intent to insult the religion of any class).

In his complaint, Singh alleged that Shah had publicly opposed the Supreme Court’s verdict on Sabarimala case as part of a “conspiracy” to reap political dividends in the 2019 general elections and had also hurt sentiments of women.

The apex court had allowed entry of women of all menstrual age into the Sabarimala temple in Kerala.

Local court transfers Shah’s case of violation of model code of conduct to Allahabad special court


Muzaffarnagar 
A local court has transferred to a Allahabad special court a case against BJP president Amit Shah for allegedly violating the model code of conduct by making “objectionable” speeches here in 2014.

Police had already given a clean chit to Shah, but the court has not yet accepted the report as there was no reply from the complainant, the then assistant returning officer Ram Kumar, in the case, a prosecution lawyer said Thursday.

The Bharatiya Janata Party leader has been accused of allegedly making “objectionable” speeches while campaigning for the Lok Sabha polls in Muzaffarnagar on April 4, 2014.

The case was fixed for reply on the final report of the police from Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Shelender Singh here.

Police had registered case against Shah for alleged violation of the model code of conduct under Section 188 (Disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant) of the Indian Penal Code and 123(3) of Representation of the People Act (relating to appeal by a candidate to vote on the ground of his religion, race, caste, community or language), according to prosecution.

Chief Justice of India-led orders listing of a case relating to BJP chief’s son

The Supreme Court today directed the listing of a case of a news portal’s scribes, who are facing criminal defamation complaint filed by BJP President Amit Shah’s son, before an appropriate bench for final disposal on April 18.

An supreme court bench headed by Chief Justice of India (CJI) Dipak Misra said since it was seized of hearing important cases pending before a constitution bench, there was paucity of time to hear this matter.

It said the petitions, which have challenged the Gujarat High Court’s order refusing to quash summons issued against them by a trial court in a defamation complaint filed by Shah’s son Jay Shah, be listed before an appropriate bench.

“Let the matters be listed before the appropriate bench for final disposal on April 18. The interim order passed on the earlier occasion to continue till the next date of hearing,” the bench, also comprising Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud, said.

On March 15, the CJI-led bench had heard the pleas filed by news portal ‘The Wire’ and some of its scribes against the Gujarat High Court order. It had also asked the Gujarat trial court not to proceed with the complaint till today.

The high court had on January 8 rejected a plea filed by the portal, seeking quashing of the defamation complaint filed against it by Jay over an article related to his company.

On the last date of hearing before the apex court, senior lawyer Kapil Sibal, appearing for the portal and the scribes, had said that the article contained details from records which were in “public domain electronically”.

A five-judge constitution bench headed by the CJI and comprising Justices A K Sikri, A M Khanwilkar, D Y Chandrachud and Ashok Bhushan, is currently hearing the crucial matter relating to the validity of the Aadhaar Act.

The same bench is also scheduled to hear several other matters, including the one related to its 2013 judgment re-criminalising gay sex between consenting adults and ban on entry of women between 10 and 50 years of age in Kerala’s Sabarimala temple.

Shah had moved the lower court alleging defamation by the petitioners after the article published by the news portal claimed his company’s turnover grew exponentially after the BJP-led government came to power at the Centre in 2014.

The complaint was filed against the author of the article Rohini Singh, founding editors of the news portal Siddharth Varadarajan, Siddharth Bhatia and M K Venu, managing editor Monobina Gupta, public editor Pamela Philipose and the Foundation for Independent Journalism, which publishes The Wire.

Jay has separately filed a civil defamation suit of Rs 100 crore against the website over the article. He has also rejected the charges made in the article, insisting that the story was “false, derogatory and defamatory”.

Court orders fresh probe in case against Azam Khan

Court orders fresh probe in case against Azam Khan
Court orders fresh probe in case against Azam Khan

A court here today came down heavily on police for its shoddy probe into a case against former Uttar Pradesh minister Azam Khan, and directed a fresh investigation into it.

Additional Chief Judicial Magistrate Arvind Mishra also asked the district police chief to initiate action against the investigating officer, J P Tyagi, for not acting judiciously by filing a closure report in the case.

The case pertains to Khan, the Rampur MLA, making derogatory remarks Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP president Amit Shah in the run-up to the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.

On April 10, 2014, an FIR was registered against Khan, then a minister in the Uttar Pradesh government, under sections 153-A (promoting enmity between communities ), 2095-A (deliberate and malicious act intended to outrage religious feelings) and 505-2 (speeches creating hatred between classes) of the IPC.

The FIR was registered based on a complaint by the election panel.

The court has rejected the final report and ordered the SHO of the Rampur City police station to initiate fresh investigation into the case.

( Source – PTI )

Gujarat HC asks Kodnani if her plea to summon witnesses is necessary

Gujarat HC asks Kodnani if her plea to summon witnesses is necessary
Gujarat HC asks Kodnani if her plea to summon witnesses is necessary

The Gujarat High Court today asked former state minister Maya Kodnani to explain if her plea for summoning additional witnesses, including BJP president Amit Shah, in the 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case is necessary.

Kodnani was convicted by the trial court in the Naroda Patiya case relating to massacre of 96 persons during the 2002 Gujarat riots. The high court is hearing appeals in the case.

Division bench of justices Harsha Devani and A S Supehiya today asked Kodnani’s lawyer Harshad Dave to reconsider the application seeking to summon eight persons, including BJP president Shah, as defence witnesses, and reply tomorrow.

During the arguments, Kodnani’s lawyers did not press for appearance of Shah and two others as witnesses.

The high court said its order on the application will have some bearing on the Naroda Gam riot case, which has Kodnani as an accused and which is currently being heard by a special court.

Asking Kodnani’s lawyer to consider if the application was necessary, the court adjourned the hearing to tomorrow.

The Special Investigation Team which probed the riot cases has opposed Kodnani’s application.

The special court hearing Naroda Gam case had allowed Kodnani recently to summon 14 witnesses including Amit Shah.

Her application contended that she needed to examine these witnesses to prove her `alibi’ (she was not present at the spot when crime took place but was elsewhere).

( Source – PTI )

BJP govt put onus on Opposition for re-conversion law

bjpAs a controversy over forced religious conversions by some Sangh Parivar outfits raged, the BJP and the government on Sunday put the onus on the Opposition parties for bringing an anti-conversion law for which they were ready.

BJP president Amit Shah said the government is ready to bring an anti-conversion law and dared the “so-called secular” Opposition parties to support it while Union Minister Venkaiah Naidu said the Opposition did not respond positively to this offer.

The comments by Mr. Shah and Mr. Naidu came a day after RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat strongly defended the current controversial campaign of the Sangh Parivar and dared the Opposition to support a law banning religious conversions.

Mr. Shah asserted that such incidents would not derail the BJP-led NDA Government from its development agenda.

“BJP has made its stand clear on conversions. And no one can derail the party (government) from its development agenda,” he told a press conference in Chennai.

He was replying to a question whether the campaign by some fringe groups on the conversion issue would affect the development agenda of the Narendra Modi government.

Asked repeatedly about the involvement of RSS in the matter, Mr. Shah evaded a direct reply and said, “RSS is a nationalist organisation and I have no doubt over this.”

Opposition parties have been seeking to corner the government on the ‘ghar wapsi’ campaign in parts of North India and stalled proceedings in Rajya Sabha demanding a statement from Mr. Modi.

Mr. Shah, who is on a two-day visit to Chennai since Saturday, also said BJP’s stand on forced conversions was clear and the government was ready to bring a law to ban them.

“BJP is clear about its stand on forced conversions. Parliamentary Affairs Minister Venkaiah Naidu has said in Parliament that the government is ready to bring in a law against forced conversions. Are the so called secular parties ready to support it?” he asked.

Mr. Shah declined to comment on Mr. Bhagwat’s remarks on Saturday on trying to create a strong Hindu society.

Asked about Mr. Bhagwat’s comments in favour of bringing in a law against religious conversion, Mr. Naidu said the government would not bring any law against conversion without a larger consensus on it.

“BJP had already announced that it would be right to bring a law against conversion as per the prevailing situation in the country.

“But, that is possible only when there is general consensus. Without consensus, the government would not bring any such law. An advice is given. Everybody has got the right to give advice. There is a right to write. You have the right to make commentary,” he told reporters in Hyderabad.

“If you feel the State government’s laws are not effective, there is need for an all-India law, the government has offered on the floor of Parliament, let’s go for an all-India law. The Opposition did not respond positively,” he said.

Conversions have been happening in the country since pre-Independence era, he added.

CBI judge hearing Amit Shah”s case, transferred

Amit shahThe special CBI judge hearing the case of alleged fake-encounter cases of gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh and Tulsi Prajaptai was transferred on Wednesday following which the court adjourned the hearing on the Amit Shah’s discharge plea.

Special CBI judge JT Utpat was transferred to Pune, after which the court hearing was adjourned till July 2.

Incidentally, last week, judge Utpat had reprimanded Shah’s advocate for filing an exemption application without assigning any reason to it.

“Every time you are giving this exemption application without assigning any reason,” judge Utpat had said.

The court had on May 9 issued summonses to Shah and other accused in the case, which had been transferred from Gujarat.

The CBI had charged Shah and 18 others, including several police officers in the case, last September.

According to CBI, gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh, who was claimed to have links with Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba, and his wife Kauser Bi were kidnapped by Gujarat’s anti-terrorism squad when they were on way from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra and were killed in an alleged fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.

Tulsiram Prajapati, an eyewitness to the encounter, was killed by police at Chapri village in Banaskantha district of Gujarat in December 2006.

Shah, who was the-then Gujarat minister of state for home, was allegedly involved in the conspiracy behind both the incidents.

(Source:PTI)

Tulsi Prajapati: Court raps Amit Shah

amit shahA CBI court here Friday reprimanded the counsel of former Gujarat Minister of State for Home, Amit Shah for seeking yet another exemption for his client without assigning any reason for the BJP leader’s non-appearance in connection with the 2006 Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.

“Every time you are giving an exemption application without assigning any reason,” said special CBI judge J T Utpat after CBI counsel B P Raju opposed Shah’s exemption application.

However the court allowed his exemption application and fixed the next date of hearing on July 4.

Earlier, on June 6, the court had allowed the exemption plea of Shah and postponed the hearing till today.

Shah in his exemption application today said he could not attend the court hearing as he was in Delhi. “Shah is engaged in political work in New Delhi and therefore not about to come to court,” read his application filed by his lawyer Robin Mogera.

The court is also likely to pass an order on the discharge application filed by Shah on June 25. Lok Sabha Polls 2014.

The court had on May 9 issued summons to Shah and other accused in the case, which was transferred from Gujarat to Mumbai this year.

The CBI had charge-sheeted Shah and 18 others, including several police officers, in the case in September 2013.

According to CBI, gangster Sohrabuddin Sheikh, claimed to have links to Pakistan-based terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba, and his wife Kauser Bi were abducted by Gujarat’s Anti-Terrorism Squad when they were on way from Hyderabad to Sangli in Maharashtra and killed in an alleged fake encounter near Gandhinagar in November 2005.

Tulsiram Prajapati, an eye-witness to the encounter, was killed by police at Chapri village in Banaskantha district of Gujarat in December 2006.

Shah, who was then Minister of State for Home was allegedly involved in the conspiracy behind both the incidents.

(Source: PTI)

SC reserves verdict on Amit Shah’s bail in Sohrabuddin case

The Supreme Court Thursday reserved its order on a CBI plea seeking cancellation of bail granted to former Gujarat minister Amit Shah by the state high court and the transfer of trial in the 2005 Sohrabuddin Sheikh staged-shootout case outside Gujarat to Mumbai.

However, the apex court bench of Justice Aftab Alam and Justice Ranjana Prakash Desai indicated that it might grant bail to former minister of state for home Amit Shah, subject to certain conditions but transfer the trial in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh case to Mumbai.

Sohrabuddin Sheikh was killed in a staged shootout by Gujarat police in 2005. Shah was in the Gujarat cabinet when the killing took place.

On a query from the court as to what assurances Amit Shah could give that he would not interfere with the investigation and the course of the trial, senior counsel Ram Jethmalani told the court that Amit Shah would give an undertaking that he would not do so.

If he (Amit Shah) breaches it, Jethmalani said, he would not appear to defend him but to prosecute him.

Taking exception to the conduct of the Gujarat government in the course of the hearing, the court said the Gujarat government, instead of being an ally of the court in reaching to the bottom of the case, has acted in an adversarial manner, often adopting a hostile attitude.

Shah was named as an accused in Sohrabuddin Sheikh’s killing in which the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) described him as a head of extortion syndicate in Gujarat. Shah was arrested by the CBI July 25, 2010, for his alleged involvement in Sohrabuddin’s killing.