YSR Congress chief moves HC seeking independent agency probe into attack on him


Hyderabad: 
YSR Congress chief Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy has approached the Hyderabad High Court seeking a direction to the Andhra Pradesh government to transfer the probe into the recent attack on him at the Visakhapatnam airport, to an independent agency.

Andhra Pradesh Home Secretary, DGP and Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu were among those who were made respondents in the plea, the petitioner’s counsel said Thursday.

On October 25, Reddy was injured on the left shoulder when he was attacked by a man with a small knife, at the airport in Visakhapatnam. The assailant, J Srinivas was employed at the airport canteen, police had said.

Jagan, the Leader of Opposition in the Andhra Pradesh Assembly, submitted that he has no confidence in the investigation being conducted by the state government and added that it ought to be conducted by an independent and impartial agency which is not under the government.

Alleging that the attack on him was part of a “criminal conspiracy” to eliminate him, Jagan said it indicated a clear effort to “dilute” the investigation and “divert” it in a wrong direction.

Justice A V Sesha Sai has posted the matter to next week.

Government must alter fraudulent records in reasonable time : Supreme Court

Government has to exercise its powers to take corrective course within a reasonable period to change an order that has been secured by a beneficiary in a fraudulent manner, the Supreme Court has ruled.

It held as wrong the Andhra Pradesh Government order exercising its ‘revision power’ after nearly five decades to issue show cause notice to villagers as to why their entries in land records should not be cancelled and corrected as the transactions there were fraudulent.

The apex court held “if actions or transactions were to remain forever open to challenge, it will mean avoidable and endless uncertainty in human affairs, which is not the policy of law.”

A bench comprising Justices TS Thakur and C Nagappan dismissed the appeal filed by the Joint Collector of Ranga Reddy district against the order of the High Court saying that the revisional powers vested under the Andhra Pradesh (Telangana Area) Land Revenue Act cannot be exercised 50 years after the making of the alleged fraudulent entries.

“The suo motu revision exercise undertaken after a long lapse of time, even in the absence of any period of limitation is arbitrary and opposed to the concept of rule of law,” it said.

Justice Nagappan, who wrote the judgement for the Bench, noted that if the impugned notice of December 31, 2004, invoking the suo motu revision power is allowed after five decades, “it would lead to anomalous position leading to uncertainty and complications seriously affecting the rights of the parties over immovable properties.” Observing that the rule of law “must run closely with the rule of life”, the bench said “absence of a stipulated period of limitation makes little or no difference in so far as the exercise of the power is concerned which ought to be allowed only when the power is invoked within a reasonable period.” Concurring with Justice Nagappan’s findings,

Justice Thakur separately added few lines in the judgement, saying “delayed exercise of revisional jurisdiction is frowned upon because if actions or transactions were to remain forever open to challenge, it will mean avoidable and endless uncertainty in human affairs, which is not the policy of law.”

Mishap victim’s kin get Rs 36 lakh compensation

A cheque of Rs 6 lakh as compensation amount handed over to the family of a Dilsukhnagar twin blasts victim by the Andhra Pradesh government.

Minister for Civil Supplies Duddilla Sridhar Babu handed over the cheque to the kin of Amrutha Ravi Kumar (25), an MBA student of Begumpet village of Kamanpur mandal in Karim nagar district, who was severely injured in the blast in Dilsukhnagar area in Hyderabad on February 21.

Following the incident, Ravi had been admitted at Yashoda Hospital here. However, he succumbed to his injuries on March 5.While handing over the compensation, the minister said that one of the victim’s family members would be offered a government job.

As many as 17 people were killed and over 100 others injured in the blasts in the state capital.

SC declines AP govt’s plea against Babhali barrage

The plea of Andhra Pradesh government has been declined by the Supreme Court which was against the construction of Babhali barrage by Maharashtra in Nanded district for utilising the water of Godavari river.

The apex court told, “On the basis of facts which have come on record, a case of substantial injury of a serious magnitude and high equity that moves the conscience of the court has not been made out by Andhra Pradesh justifying grant of injunction.

“In light of the above, we hold that Andhra Pradesh is not entitled to the reliefs, as prayed for, in the suit,” a bench of justices RM Lodha, TS Thakur and AR Dave told.

However, the bench constituted a three-member supervisory committee having one representative from the Central Water Commission (CWC) and one representative each from Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra, with CWC representative being the chairman of the committee.

The committee has been tasked with supervising the operation of the Babhali barrage and to ensure Maharashtra maintains storage capacity of 2.74 TMC feet of water out of the allocation of 60 TMC feet given to the state for new projects under an agreement of October 6, 1975, between the two states.

Further, the bench said that the committee will look that “the gates of Babhali barrage remain lifted during the monsoon season, i.e, July 1 to October 28 and there is no obstruction to the natural flow of Godavari river during monsoon season below the three dams, Paithan, Siddheswar and Nizamsagar, towards Pochampad dam”.

The committee has to also ensure that “During the non- monsoon season i.e., from October 29 till the end of June next year, the quantity of water which Maharashtra utilises for Babhali barrage does not exceed 2.74 TMC feet of which only 0.6 TMC feet forms the common submergence of Pochampad reservoir and Babhali barrage and Maharashtra does not periodically utilise 2.74 TMC feet from time to time.”

Panel to examine controversial movie after Telangana protests

The Andhra Pradesh government formed a panel to recommend deletion of objectionable scenes, after violent protests in Telangana over a Telugu movie, which allegedly showed the Telangana movement in poor light.

D.K. Aruna who is a Minister for Information and Public Relations, constituted a committee headed by Information and Public Relations Commissioner R.V. Chandravadan to assess “Cameraman Ganga tho Rambabu” starring Pawan Kalyan.

The panel along with film producer Dil Raju and director Puri Jagannath will watch the movie and make recommendations to the Andhra Pradesh Film Development Corporation.

Alleging that the movie lampoons its leader K. Chandrasekhara Rao and his son K. Tarakarama Rao, the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) has demanded a total ban on its screening.

TRS activists Friday attacked cinema theatres in Hyderabad and other parts of Telangana and stopped its screening. They also ransacked the offices of the producer and director in Hyderabad.

Protests against the movie continued for the second day in Telangana districts. Telangana Joint Action Committee (JAC) convenor M. Kodandaram condemned it as an attempt to belittle the movement for Telangana state.

TRS politburo member D. Sharavan said that deleting some scenes from the film would not pacify the people of Telangana and demanded a total ban on its screening.

The Telugu Desam Party (TDP) also sought a ban on the movie, saying it not only showed Telangana leaders in poor light but also ridiculed its chief N. Chandrababu Naidu. TDP activists staged a protest demanding ban on the movie in Kurnool district of the Rayalaseema region.

TDP leader from Telangana E. Dayakar Rao warned that screening of the movie would have serious consequences.

The film fraternity, state ministers and other leaders were divided along the regional lines.

While Information and Public Relations Minister Aruna, who hails from Telangana, said a film should not target people of a particular region, religion and caste, her cabinet colleague G. Srinivasa Rao from the Andhra region, defended the film.

Rao, who watched the movie at a theatre in Visakhapatnam, said there was nothing objectionable in it.

He also said, “One should see cinema only as cinema. There is nothing objectionable in it”

President of Telangana Film Chamber of Commerce M. Vijayender Reddy said there were many objectionable scenes in the film. He demanded the film should not be screened till those scenes were deleted.