2G case: RBI Governor D Subbarao deposes in court

In a Delhi court RBI Governor D Subbarao deposed  as a prosecution witness in the 2G case, saying he had questioned in 2007 the spectrum fee of around Rs1600 crore for pan-India licence.

From April 2007 to September 2008 Subbarao was the finance secretary, is a key witness in the case in which former telecom minister A Raja and others are facing trial.

During the recording of his statement, Subbarao told the court that he had written a letter on November 22, 2007 to the then telecom secretary D S Mathur in which he had questioned the spectrum fee of around Rs1600 crore for pan India licence.

He said that he had also questioned as to how the spectrum fee of Rs1600 crore, which was fixed in 2001, could be applied in 2007.

He told Special CBI Judge O P Saini, “I also questioned how the rate of Rs1600 crore, determined in as far as back in 2001, could be applied for licences given in 2007.”

CBI prosecutor A K Singh also showed various files and notes of various departments concerned, including that of Department of Telecom and Ministry of Finance, to Subbarao during the recording of his statement which is likely to continue throughout the day.

Till November 11, the court had recorded statements of 77 CBI witnesses in the case in which Raja is the key accused.

Besides Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi, former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja’s erstwhile private secretary R K Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra, three top executives of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (RADAG) — Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair — are facing trial in the case.

Directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, Kalaignar TV director Sharad Kumar and Bollywood producer Karim Morani are also accused in the case.

2G case: Trial completes one year, over 100 witnesses examined

The high-profile accused like former telecom minister A Raja and DMK MP Kanimozhi completed a year in the ongoing trial in the 2G spectrum allocation case, yielding the recording of over 3,000 pages of depositions in examination of over 100 witnesses.

The trial which has started Nov. 11 last year, was set after special CBI judge O P Saini had framed charges against 17 accused, including three telecom firms, named in the first two charge sheets saying there was sufficient prima facie evidence against them.

For the last one year, apart from Raja and 16 others, the court has also been holding the trial of Essar Group and Loop Telecom promoters, who have been arrayed as accused in a case linked to the 2G scam.

The court has recorded statements of 77 CBI witnesses in the case in which Raja is the key accused, while in the case against Essar and Loop promoters, it has concluded recording statements of 28 prosecution witnesses.

As per the court sources, around 3,000 pages of evidence have been recorded by the judge till now.

The proceedings in the case, conducted by the special CBI Court set up exclusively to deal with the 2G spectrum case, is also being monitored by the Supreme Court.

Besides Raja and Kanimozhi, former telecom secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja’s erstwhile private secretary R K Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra, three top executives of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (RADAG) – Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair – are facing trial in the case.

Directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, Kalaignar TV director Sharad Kumar and Bollywood producer Karim Morani are also accused in the case.