Uttar Pradesh gets new advocate general

The Uttar Pradesh government late Wednesday appointed V.C. Mishra, 83, as the new advocate general, an official said.

Governor B.L. Joshi approved Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav’s recommendation of appointing him, and also accepted the resignation of S.P. Gupta for the post.

A notification of the appointment was issued.

Gupta had earlier quit citing personal reasons, but sources said the state government was miffed with the him because of the continued legal wrangles it had to face in different courts over the laxity of government law officers.

Mishra comes from Etawah, the home town of Samajwadi Party (SP) chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and has held key positions in the Allahabad High Court in the past.

He has been Allahabad High Court Bar Council’s president seven times, and thrice the chairman of the Bar Council of India. He was a student leader in his college days and was involved in the freedom struggle. He is also known for his proximity with the ruling SP.

(Source: IANS)

NCW seeks report on remarks against IAS officer

Durga Shakti NagpalThe National Commission for Women (NCW) has asked the Uttar Pradesh government to probe a complaint against a Samajwadi Party leader accused of making “objectionable comments” against the now suspended IAS officer Durga Shakti Nagpal.

Taking cognizance of a complaint against Uttar Pradesh Agro chairman Narendra Bhatti, NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma urged Chief Secretary Jawed Usmani to probe the complaint filed by social activist Nutan Thakur.

Sharma asked the chief secretary “to present a detailed report in the matter so that further action may be taken”.

Thakur told NCW after seeing a video clip of Bhati speaking at a public function that the Samajwadi Party leader used “objectionable and derogatory” terms to describe the IAS officer.

“I am happy the NCW has taken cognizance of my complaint. I am sure the body will take serious action on the matter. It will act as a deterrent for everyone. Public figures will think twive before demeaning a woman,” she said.

Narendra Bhati, who holds minister’s rank in Uttar Pradesh and is the Lok Sabha canidate for Samajwadi Party from Noida, is attributed to be the man behind the suspension of Nagpal, who had taken on a maifa extracting sand illegally from river beds.

In the same video, Bhati brags that he got the officer suspended within 41 minutes after making a call to Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav and Samajwadi Party chief Mulayam Singh Yadav.

(Source: IANS)

We treat minister and ordinary person alike: say SC judges

On issues related to right to life and personal liberty, a minister and an ordinary person are treated alike in the Supreme Court, a bench of two judges said on Monday.

The apex court bench of Justice A.K. Patnaik and Justice Ranjan Gogoi said “before the Supreme Court a minister and an ordinary person under Article 21 are the same” and stayed the order of the Allahabad High court directing the Uttar Pradesh government to restore the security cover of an ex-minister.


The high court by its June 19 and June 21 order had directed the government to restore the security cover of the previous Mayawati government’s minister Ramveer Upadhyaya and provide government security to another VIP identified as Vinod Singh.

The high court asked the state government to charge 10 per cent of the cost to provide four gunmen to protecting Vinod Singh.The apex court has now put on hold the high court order.The judges’ decision came after senior counsel Abhishek Manu Singhvi, appearing for Mr Upadhyaya, told the court that his client was a four-time legislator and his wife was a Lok Sabha member and they were both under threat

He told the court that Mr Upadhyaya’s security cover was taken away after the Samajwadi Party government led by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav came to power.

Appearing for the government, counsel Ravi P. Mehrotra said Mr Upadhyaya’s security cover was withdrawn after a review.

Mr Mehrotra wondered if it was justified for the high court to embark upon the exercise to judicially review the government’s decision.

He told the court that Mr Upadhyaya was provided four security personnel and he was paying part of the cost of the facility.

While continuing the stay on the high court’s June 19 order with respect to Mr Upadhyaya and staying the June 21 high court order with respect to Mr Singh, the apex court issued notices to both the security seekers.

The case will next come up for hearing on July 9.

(Source:IANS)

Allahabad HC asks UP govt to submit its policy on murder compensation

The Uttar Pradesh government has been directed by the Lucknow bench of the Allahabad High court to submit its policy regarding paying of compensation to the family of the murdered persons in the state.

The court has given two weeks time to the UP government to submit its report.

A division bench of court comprising Justices Uma Nath Singh and Satish Chandra gave this order after hearing the arguments of petitioner’s counsel Asoke Pande and Additional Advocate General Bulbul Godiyal.

The court was hearing the PIL filed by social activist Nutan Thakur as regards different compensation amounts being paid by the UP government in different cases of murder.

In the petition, Dr Thakur had prayed that while Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has paid a compensation of Rs 50 lakh and Rs 20 lakh each in Pratapgarh triple murder incidence, it has not given any compensation in other murder cases, including the political murder of Ram Babu Gupta in Tanda, Ambedkarnagar.

The PIL says that this is against the right to equality enshrined in the Indian constitution and the UP Government does not have a right to differentiate cases of murder without sufficient reasons.

Dr Thakur had prayed to direct the UP Government to frame a definite policy for compensation in murder cases. She also prayed to pay compensation of similar amount in all other murder cases that happened recently.

NRHM scam: Court asks UP to explain delay

Allahabad High Court on Thursday summoned the Uttar Pradesh Principal Health Secretary to explain the delay in allowing the CBI to prosecute officials accused in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam.

The Lucknow bench of the court asked Principal Secretary, Health, Sanjay Agarwal to appear before it by 2 pm and explain the delay.

The court also rapped the CBI for verbally informing it about the investigation and gave the agency 48 hours to file a written affidavit on the progress of probe.

It also told the agency to wrap up the probe in 20 days.

The CBI had sent a request letter to the Uttar Pradesh government on May 23 seeking prosecution of 22 doctors and IAS officer Pradeep Shukla in the scam.

But the files since then have been shuttling between the health and the law department.

Proximity of the accused to political masters was the stumbling block, official sources said.

Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav had on Wednesday said that “some innocent people have been charged in the scam”.

This had led to the speculation that the state government was unwilling to give CBI the green signal.

Akhilesh Yadav: Game of name changing continues

It seems that Uttar Pradesh is not going to do development in future but will do development in changing names of cities, changing names of programmes initiated by Mayawati. Since the coming of Akhilesh Yadav we often hear maladministration news from Uttar Pradesh this is perhaps because of his total attention is diverted towards changing names of cities.

 We all have been hoping from this young Turk that he will change UP, UP will now get rid from rule of older people, a fresh air of development will move in UP, he will supply young blood in the veins of people which is sleeping till date but in opposite to our hopes he is following footsteps of old people.

 Mayawati who named 8 cities of Uttar Pradesh in the name of Dalit heroes to inspire dalits has been changed by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav to their older names.The decision in this regard was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav.

 While Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Nagar, formerly known as Amethi, will now be known as Gauriganj, Rambai Nagar will be called Kanpur dehat.The names of Bheem Nagar, Prabuddha Nagar and Pancheel Nagar have been changed to Bahjoi, Shamli and Hapur respectively, they said.Similarly names of Kanshiram Nagar, Mahamaya Nagar and JP Nagar have been changed to Kasganj, Hathras and Amroha respectively.

 The Cabinet also restored the name of King George’s Medical University (KGMU), which was changed to Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University in the BSP regime.

 SP changing names of districts with ‘ill will’: Mayawati

 BSP supremo Mayawati today accused ruling SP of changing “with an ill will” the nomenclatures of districts named after saints, gurus and dalit icons during her regime.

 “New districts were created during BSP regime and named after dalit and OBC icons so that they always remain a source of inspiration for the society,” the former Chief Minister said here in a statement.

 “But the present SP government has unnecessarily changed names of the districts with new ones that do not have any serious meaning. It is an insult to icons and to the society, and history will never forgive it,” she said.

 Mayawati said though reports of change in the names of districts were appearing in the media, she did not believe that the SP government would work “with an ill will” and go to the extent of insulting dalit and OBC icons.

  “The decision of the SP government is very painful and condemnable. I think that (by doing so) SP supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and his Chief Minister son Akhilesh have got their names written in black letters in the pages of history,” Mayawati said.

 “My government never changed the name of any district, instead it created a new district and gave it an inspirational name,” she added.

Corruption cases continue to haunt Mayawati

Mayawati,Bahajun Samaj Party(BSP) supremo and former chief minister of Uttar Pradesh (UP) may have got relief in the disproportionate assets (DA) case from the Supreme Court but corruption cases will continue to chase her.

While the 2003 Taj Heritage Corridor Scam is still pending in the Allahabad high court, her name is also being taken in the anomalies in construction of dalit memorials in the state during her rule and in the National Rural Health Mission (NRHM) scam. Significantly, the DA case had come out during investigation for Taj Heritage Corridor case. Though DA case has been quashed, the next hearing of the Taj Heritage Corridor scam is scheduled before a bench of Justices Imtiyaz Murtaza and SC Chaurasia on July 10.

 In 2002, the Supreme Court had ordered the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to investigate the Taj Heritage Corridor case on a petition. She was accused of swindling Rs 17 crore that was meant to develop and upgrade the area and tourist facilities near the Taj Mahal. The project was then cancelled for environmental reasons.

 In 2003, while investigating the Taj case, the CBI filed the DA case against her. She was accused of misusing her term as the chief minister for personal gain. Mayawati took plea that they money she has was ‘gift’ and ‘donations’ from party workers. The investigations in Taj corridor case also continued. The CBI filed a chargesheet against Mayawati, her close aide and former minister Naseemuddin Siddiqui, former principal secretary of environment RK Sharma and former environment secretary Rajendra Prasad under IPC sections 420, 467, 468 and 471 before a special CBI court in 2007. Bureaucrat PL Punia, who was close to Mayawati in 2003, was also named by the CBI but he turned approver and after retirement from the services joined Congress and won Lok Sabha election from Barabanki in 2009. The CBI court denied to admit the chargesheet against Mayawati because then UP governor TV Rajeswar, appointed by the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, refused permission to the CBI to prosecute Mayawati, saying that there wasn’t enough evidence. The CBI approached Supreme Court against governor’s decision but its plea was rejected. The case was closed but in 2009 a fresh public interest litigation was filed in the Allahabad high court seeking prosecution of bigwigs allegedly involved in the scam.

 The CBI is also looking for legal remedies in the DA case. The Supreme Court, in its verdict on Friday, said that the CBI exceeded its jurisdiction in filing a DA case against BSP supremo as in 2003 it was instructed to go ahead only with the Taj case. However, the CBI says that the apex court on October 25, 2004 had delinked the two cases and asked the agency to proceed with the investigations.

 Now using the 2004 order, the CBI may file a review petition. The agency is also probing the role of BSP chief in over Rs 5000 crore NRHM scam in the state during her rule.

 On the other hand, the SP government in UP is contemplating to refer the multi-crore scam in implementation of Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) in the state to the CBI. SP leader and urban development minister Azam Khan has written to chief minister Akhilesh Yadav that JNNURM scam is bigger than NRHM scam and requires a thorough probe by the CBI. The complaints of anomalies in construction of dalit memorials in Lucknow and Noida during the BSP rule has already been referred to the Lokayukta by the SP government. Union rural development minister Jairam Ramesh has asked UP government to refer CBI inquiry into the scam in implemenation of MNERGA. A petition has been filed by a retired judge in the Lucknow Bench of the Allahabad high court seeking probe into all the alleged scams reported during Maya rule. They include Rs 300 crore dalit memorial scam, Noida land scam, Rs 1200 crore scam in sale of 21 government sugar mills, scam in appointment of 72,000 government teachers and scams in excise and mining departments among others.