Murder case: Court acquits 3 and asks investigating officer to pay Re 1 from his salary as compensation

A court here in Maharashtra has acquitted three persons in a 2007 case of killing a person and asked the investigating officer to pay Re 1 from his salary as compensation to each of those set free.

District Judge S B Bahalkar, in his order issued earlier this month, held the investigating officer (IO), R B More, responsible for falsely implicating the three persons in the case.

Five persons – Satyanarayan Jagannath Mishra, Shankar Jagannath Mishra (56), Virendra Kedarnath Varma, Sanjay Satyanarayan Mishra (47) andSantosh alias Pappu Satyanarayan Mishra (49) – from Vasai in neighbouring Palghar, were arrested and booked under IPC Sections 302 (murder) and 201 (causing disappearance of evidence of offence).

While Satyanarayan Mishra and Virendra Varma died during the course of trial, the court acquitted the other three named as accused in the case.

One person is still absconding.

According to the prosecution, the accused had a business establishment in Diwanman locality of Vasai where the family of the victim, Iqbal alias Pappu Jamil Ahmed, had a garage and a food stall.

The accused wanted the victim’s family to vacate the place which led to a dispute between the two sides.

The prosecution alleged that on account of the dispute, the accused killed Ahmed and dumped the body at a place in the locality on January 7, 2007.

The body was recovered the next day.

According to the prosecution, the accused did not file for discharge and decided to undergo trial in the case.

The judge said there was no evidence to prove the accused guilty and noted that the investigating officer falsely implicated them.

Holding More responsible for the mental and physical agony faced by the three accused, the judge directed the probing officer to pay a compensation of Re 1 to each of them.

The judge asked the authorities concerned to recover to token compensation amount from the investigating officer’s salary.

Man awarded death penalty, wife gets life term in murder case

A court in Rajasthan’s Kota has awarded death sentence to a man and life imprisonment to his wife in a five-year-old robbery and murder case here.


An additional district judge [ADJ] on Wednesday pronounced the verdict, holding the man guilty of looting and murdering a couple at their home in the city and his wife of cooperating in the crime and managing the robbed jewelery and valuables.

The court also slapped a fine of Rs 50,000 on each of the convicts.

Terming the crime as “rarest of the rare”, the court observed culprits of such heinous crimes cannot be left in society with less than death penalty and life imprisonment.

A share broker, Rajendra Agrawal and his wife Geeta Devi, both in their late 50s were found bludgeoned to death at their house in city’s Talwandi area.

Gold and silver jewelery worth around Rs 80-90 lakh was also robbed from the house.

A case of murder and loot was registered at the Jawahar Nagar Police Station against Jagdish Chand, who was Agarwal’s driver, and his wife Shimla Devi.

ADJ Rajiv Kumar Bijlani held Chand guilty of the brutal murders and awarded him death penalty, public prosecutor (PP) Ritesh Mewara said.

The court also held Chand’s wife guilty of cooperating the accused and in managing the robbed jewelery and valuables and sentenced her to life imprisonment, he added.

The accused was arrested and the jewelery was recovered from his possession.

Chand was in jail since his arrest while his wife was earlier granted bail, Mewara said.

In the 130-page judgment, the court observed punishing culprits of such heinous crimes with less than death penalty and life imprisonment would be injustice and convey unfair message in the society, the PP said, adding statements of as many as 28 witnesses were recorded in the court during the trial.

Woman, paramour convicted in husband’s murder case

A sessions court in West Bengal’s North 24 Parganas on Thursday pronounced a woman and her paramour guilty of conspiracy and murder of her husband in 2017.

The sessions judge at the Barasat Fourth Fast Track Court held Ajit Roy guilty of murder and Manua Majumdar for conspiring with him.

The quantum of sentence will be pronounced by the court on Friday.

Following Thursday’s judgment, which was passed by the court after a 23-month-long trial, Anupam Singha’s mother broke down and said that she hopes that the highest punishment is awarded to Roy and Majumdar.

Several neighbours of Singha had gathered at the court on Thursday along with his aged parents, who are residents of Bangladesh and have come here to hear the judgment.

Posters and placards were also seen outside the Barasat court premises demanding the highest possible punishment for the guilty.

Singha was found murdered at his home in May 2017 at Hridaypur area of Barasat, about 25 km from Kolkata.

The police had arrested Majumdar from her parents home in Barasat town and Roy was apprehended subsequently.

Roy had entered Singha’s residence on May 2 with duplicate keys provided by Majumdar, who was at her parents’ home at that time. He was asked to give live updates of the murder of her husband, who was bludgeoned to death, the prosecution submitted before the court.

The victim, who was 34 in 2017, had married Singha the year before.

Kotdwar Bar Association to withdraw its ban on representing accused in Sushil Raghuvanshi murder case

The Uttarakhand High Court has been informed that the Kotdwar Bar Association would be withdrawing its controversial notice barring advocates from appearing on behalf of the accused in the Sushil Raghuvanshi murder case.

Earlier this month, the Bench of Chief Justice Ramesh Ranganathan and Alok Kumar Verma had castigated the Bar Association’s move to pass a resolution directing all Association members to refrain from appearing for any of the accused in the case.

Appearing for the Kotdwar Bar Association, Advocate DS Mehta submitted on Tuesday that the notice issued by the Secretary of the Association was undoubtedly objectionable. He further submitted that while the notice was posted on the notice board, no advocate was physically prevented from appeared on behalf of the accused.

Moreover, it was informed that an urgent meeting was scheduled to be conducted in the first week of July after the Court reopens to rescind the controversial notice. An affidavit would also be filed after the notice is so rescinded, it was submitted.

The case involved the shooting of a Kodtwar-based advocate Sushil Raghuvanshi in 2017. Three persons had been arrested in the case this year, including one, Vinod Kumar.

Advocate Kuldeep Agarwal, who had taken up Kumar’s case was constrained to approach the High Court for intervention, alleging that he was being harassed against appearing for Kumar by the Bar Association’s members. He therefore moved a writ petition through Advocates Kartikey Hari Gupta and Pallavi Bahuguna.

Taking strong exception to the Bar Association’s conduct, the Bench had observed,

“Howsoever, heinous the crime may be, every accused is entitled for legal representation…

…It is the obligation of an Advocate, subject to his being paid the fees he is entitled to, to represent the accused, and in case the accused is not able to afford legal representation then the State is obligated to provide him legal aid.”

The Court has now posted the matter to be taken up next on July 8 after taking on record the submissions made on behalf of the Kotdwar Bar Association.

New Delhi : A special MCOCA court here Friday acquitted nine people accused of murdering a man in 2012.

New Delhi: A total of 12 persons were accused of killing Haris alias Bittu Sultan Shah (25) in February 2012 in a room in Kalyan’s Bail Bazar area and then burning the body in Igatpuri near Nashik.

The accused believed Shah had stolen 30 kg of charas, a narcotic substance, from them, the prosecution claimed.

Two of the 12 accused are at large, while one died during the pendency of the trial.

On Friday, Special MCOCA Judge S B Bahalkar acquitted the nine accused in custody.

The prosecution examined 33 witnesses in the case.

Appearing for the defence, advocates Poonit Mahimkar, Tarikk Sayyed and Pankaj Kawle said the accused had been falsely blamed and pointed to the delay in recording the statements of eyewitnesses, confessions under section 18 of the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act.

Those acquitted were Rahimbai Yusuf Pathan (28), Irshad Shaikh (44), Bilal alias Chotu Shaikh (30), Jahid Shaikh (27), Barkhat (37), Raja alias Bushan More (32), Baban Wani (44), Amjad Lambu Pathan (39) and Imran Sayyed (37).

The two absconding accused are Jahur Ahmed Abbas Pathan and Ishwar, while Hanif Shaikh alias Hanif Menda (38) died during pendency of trial.

 The Supreme Court closes proceedings against Tej Pratap in murder case.

 The Supreme Court today closed proceedings against former Bihar minister Tej Pratap, son of jailed RJD supremo Lalu Prasad Yadav, in the murder case of a Siwan-based journalist.

The Supreme Court had asked the CBI to investigate allegations relating to media reports featuring photographs and videos that showed Pratap, former Bihar health minister, along with two absconding accused, Mohd Kaif and Javed, who are presently in judicial custody in the Rajdeo Ranjan murder case.

A bench comprising Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justices A M Khanwilkar and D Y Chandrachud considered the submission of Additional Solicitor General Aman Lekhi that CBI has not found any incriminating material against the RJD leader.

The bench ordered closure of proceedings against Tej Pratap and gave the slain journalist’s widow the liberty to get her plea revised if some incriminating material surfaces in the future.

Life term awarded to three in murder case of 2014 in the Kidwai Nagar.

 Three brothers have been sentenced to life imprisonment by a local court in connection with a murder case of 2014.

Additional District Sessions judge Ram Sudh Singh yesterday held Anees, Pappu and Muzammil guilty of killing Nazakat under section 302 of the IPC.

The court also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on the each of accused.

According to the prosecution, Nazakat was shot dead by the three men over a minor dispute in the Kidwai Nagar locality here on January 13, 2014.

6 sentenced to death in suspected honour killing of Dalit man

6 sentenced to death in suspected honour killing of Dalit man
6 sentenced to death in suspected honour killing of Dalit man

Six persons were sentenced to death by a court here today in connection with the suspected honour killing of a 22-year old Dalit man in full public view in nearby Udumalpet in March last year.

Those sentenced to death included the father of the woman, who had married the Dalit man despite opposition from her family.

Tirupur Principal District and Sessions Judge Alamelu Natarajan also sentenced another accused to life term and another to five years imprisonment in the case.

The judge acquitted three other accused, including the mother of the woman, a Caste Hindu.

During the trial, the prosecution has argued that it was a case of honour killing.

The case drew outrage as a video showing the savage attack by three persons who hacked the man, Shankar, and his wife Kausalya near a busy road on March 13, 2016 was telecast by TV channels.

In the video, the three men were seen attacking Shankar and his wife, dealing repeated blows on them and leaving the place on a two-wheeler after the cold blooded murder even as scared bystanders remained mute witnesses to the carnage.

Various political parties had condemned the killing.

Kausalya, who escaped with injuries, had then said her father was totally opposed to their relationship and threatened to act against Shankar.

( Source – PTI )

Verdict in Dalit woman rape-murder case today

Verdict in Dalit woman rape-murder case today
Verdict in Dalit woman rape-murder case today

A court here is set to pronounce tomorrow the verdict in the case related to sensational rape and murder of a Dalit woman which was in focus during the campaign for the Kerala Assembly elections last year.

Ernakulam Principal Sessions Court had on December 6 completed the hearing in the case and posted it for tomorrow for pronouncement of judgement.

Muhammed Ameerul Islam, a migrant labourer from Assam and the lone accused in the case, has been charged with brutally raping and murdering the 30-year old woman, a law student, at nearby Perumbavoor on April 28, 2016.

He was booked under various sections of the Indian Penal Code and Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Rules.

As many as 100 witnesses were examined during the trial which commenced in April last. The prosecution has described it as a rarest of rare case.

The mother of the victim today expressed hope that justice will be delivered in the case. She demanded capital punishment for the accused.

Islam, who had left Perumbavoor soon after allegedly committing the crime, was arrested from Kancheepuram in neighbouring Tamil Nadu, 50 days after the gruesome incident.

The woman, who hailed from a poor family, was raped and brutally assaulted using sharp-edged weapons before being murdered at her house.

The incident was in focus during the state assembly polls campaign last year with political parties attacking the then Congress-led UDF regime for tardy progress in the probe and failure to nab culprits.

The LDF government, after assuming power on May 25 last year, changed the investigation team and entrusted the probe to ADGP B Sandhya in its first cabinet meeting itself.

More than 100 police personnel had questioned over 1,500 people. Finger prints of over 5,000 people were also examined by the SIT personnel who went through over 20 lakh telephonic conversations before reaching Islam.

Police have said a blood stained footwear found from a canal near the victim’s house was one of the key evidence in identifying the culprit.

( Source – PTI )

SC dismisses plea against bail to trustees of Ryan

SC dismisses plea against bail to trustees of Ryan
SC dismisses plea against bail to trustees of Ryan

The Supreme Court today dismissed a plea challenging the anticipatory bail granted to three trustees of the Ryan International Group in connection with the killing of a student in the school premises.

A bench of Justices R K Agrawal and A M Sapre said the “petition is dismissed.”

The court had earlier reserved the order on the plea of the father of 7-year-old boy, who was found dead in Ryan International School in Gurgaon, challenging the anticipatory bail granted to the trustees of the group.

Pradhuman, a Class II student, was found with his throat slit in the school washroom in Gurgaon on September 8. School bus conductor Ashok Kumar was earlier arrested by Haryana Police in connection with the crime. He was recently granted bail by a lower court.

The case was transferred to the CBI and the agency had apprehended a Class 11 student in connection with the killing.

The high court had on November 21 granted anticipatory bail to Ryan International Group CEO Ryan Pinto and his parents — founding chairman Augustine Pinto and managing director Grace Pinto, in connection with the killing of Pradhuman.

The boy’s father had approached the apex court seeking cancellation of the bail to the trustees.

( Source – PTI )