Al-Qaeda suspect sent to NIA custody till Dec 12 by court

Al-Qaeda suspect sent to NIA custody till Dec 12 by court
Al-Qaeda suspect sent to NIA custody till Dec 12 by court

A special court today gave the National Investigation Agency the custody of a British national, arrested for allegedly recruiting youths for Al- Qaeda to carry out terror activities, till December 12 for interrogation.

Shamiun Rahman, who is of Bangladeshi origin, was sent to the NIA custody by special judge O P Saini during an in- chamber proceeding after he was produced from Tihar central jail here and the NIA said he needed to be confronted with various evidences in the case, court sources said.

In its application, the NIA is believed to have sought seven-day custody for Rehman which was opposed by the advocate appearing for the accused.

27-year-old Rahman was arrested in September by the Delhi Police for his alleged involvement in recruiting Rohingya Muslims for the terror outfit and train them to fight against the Myanmarese army.

The case was recently transferred from the Delhi police to the NIA.

The accused had earlier moved an application before a city court through advocate M S Khan alleging that he was sexually harassed by the jail security personnel and inhuman behaviour was meted out to him by them.

The court had sought a response from the jail authorities on that application.

The Special Cell of the police had alleged that the process of radicalisation of Rahman alias Raju Bhai began in a jail in London where he was lodged on charges of rash driving.

During this period, he stayed at various madrassas in Kishanganj (Bihar), Hazaribagh (Jharkhand), NCR and other places, the Delhi police had said, adding that the accused had plans to set up base in Mizoram or Manipur to train the radicalised youths.

An FIR was filed by the special cell after his arrest under various provisions relating to the stringent Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Arms Act and Passport Act.

( Source – PTI )

NIA moves SC for order to probe Muslim man’s marriage matter

NIA moves SC for order to probe Muslim man's marriage matter
NIA moves SC for order to probe Muslim man’s marriage matter

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) today moved the Supreme Court seeking an order to probe various aspects of the plea of a Muslim man whose marriage with a Hindu woman was annulled by the Kerala High Court that described the case as an instance of ‘love jehad’.

A bench comprising Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justices A K Goel and D Y Chandrachud issued notice to Kerala-native Shafin Jahan and state police on the fresh plea of NIA that it needed a specific order to investigate the entire spectrum of the case having an alleged element of ‘love jihad’ as well.

Additional Solicitor General Maninder Singh, appearing for the probe agency, told the court that NIA will have to collect documents and other materials from the state police and would require a specific order for conducting probe.

The bench considered the submission and fixed the NIA’s plea for hearing at 2 PM today itself.

Earlier, the apex court had asked the NIA to file a report before it on August 16.

The court had on August 4 sought the response of the state government and the NIA on Jahan’s plea challenging the high court order annulling his marriage.

The NIA has recently conducted probes into some cases of ‘love jihad,’ in which some women were allegedly being sent to Syria to join ISIS.

Terming the case as “serious” and “sensitive”, the court had asked the father of the woman to bring material on record in support of his claims on the alleged marriage of his daughter and that there was a “well-oiled systematic mechanism” for conversion and Islamic radicalisation.

Jahan, who had married the woman in last December, had moved the apex court after the Kerala High Court annulled his marriage saying that it was an insult to independence of women in the country.

The woman, a Hindu, had converted to Islam and later married Jahan.

It was alleged that the woman was recruited by Islamic State’s mission in Syria and Jahan was only a stooge.

The high court, while declaring the marriage as “null and void”, had described the case as an instance of ‘love jihad’ and ordered the state police to conduct probe into such cases.

( Source – PTI )

Life sentence for Ajmer blast case convicts

Life sentence for Ajmer blast case convicts
Life sentence for Ajmer blast case convicts

A special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court here today sentenced Bhavesh Patel and Devendra Gupta to life in jail in the 2007 Ajmer Dargah blast case.

The magistrate also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on Patel (39) and Rs 5,000 on Gupta (41) after they were held guilty under relevant sections of the IPC, the Explosive Substances Act and the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA).

The blast on October 11, 2007 in the dargah of Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti at the time of Roza Iftaar, had left three pilgrims dead and 15 others injured.

On March 8, the court had convicted Patel, Gupta and Sunil Joshi in the case while acquitting a few including Swami Aseemanand. Joshi died soon after the blast.

Defence counsel J S Rana told reporters outside the court that the convicts would file an appeal against the judgment.

“The appeal will be filed in the high court,” Rana said.

Special public prosecutor Ashwini Sharma said that the court has also fixed March 28 as the date for announcing its decision on a closure report of the NIA.

“The NIA had filed a closure report in the court, saying it did not find any evidence against Indresh Kumar, Sadhvi Pragya, Jayanti Bhai, Prince, Ramesh Gohil and they were not involved in the case. During investigation, Ramesh Gohil had died and the NIA had filed report on this in the court.

“The court has now asked the NIA to file a formal report on the status of Ramesh Gohil and would also take a decision on the NIA closure report on March 28,” he said.

Sharma said that 26 witnesses had turned hostile in the case, that included Agriculture Minister of Jharkhand Randhir Singh, and now it’s the jurisdiction of the NIA to take a decision whether the agency wants action against them or not.

The case was handed over to the Rajasthan Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) and was later transferred to the NIA which re-registered the case at the NIA police station in New Delhi on 6 April, 2011.

There were as many as 149 witnesses in the case and 451 documents were examined and the NIA filed three supplementary chargesheet in the case.

( Source – PTI )

Burdwan blast accused taken in 14 days’ NIA custody

Burdwan blast accused taken in 14 days' NIA custody
Burdwan blast accused taken in 14 days’ NIA custody

A city court today remanded Burdwan blast accused and key JMB figure Noor-ul-Haque, who was arrested yesterday, to 14 days’ custody of National Investigation Agency (NIA) till July 3.

The remand order was passed by Additional Sessions Judge Gopal Chandra Karmakar.

NIA counsel sought 14-day custody citing the gravity of the incident, its international ramifications and investigation into the conspiracy angle.

Haque, alleged to be the financial brain behind the banned Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen Bangladesh (JMB) terror outfit, was arrested by NIA from outside Howrah railway station.

Haque, who carried a cash reward of Rs one lakh on his head and is considered to be a close aide of prime accused Sajjid, arrested chief of JMB, is alleged to have been collecting cash for running of the terror outfit, NIA officials said.

Haque is a resident of Bakshipur of Murshidabad district.

The Centre had on October 9 decided to hand over the probe to NIA in which the role of terror groups is suspected.

The blast at Khagragarh in Burdwan district took place on October two and was probed by the state CID initially.

NIA has registered cases in the Burdwan blast case under relevant sections of Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

2014: Names of Osama & ISIS surfaced in Delhi courts

Startling facts revealed by probe agencies on plots hatched by banned outfits made headlines in 2014 in Delhi courts which noted that Osama bin Laden was still the driving force for terror groups following footsteps of ISIS to create situation like Iraq and Syria.

A tug of war was also witnessed between a federal agency and Delhi Police’s anti-terror wing over the custody of Tehseen Akhtar and Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas, top operatives of Indian Mujahideen (IM).

Amid this lone incident which consumed considerable time of the court, terror-related cases focused around IM which carried out strings of strikes since 2007 and a charge sheet quoting confessional statement of IM co-founder Yasin Bhatkal disclosed that terrorists draw inspiration from Laden and al Qaeda for bringing youth to carry out jihad.

The National Investigation Agency (NIA), which was entrusted with major terror cases, disclosed in the court that Pakistan’s intelligence agency ISI was “regularly” funding IM in its nefarious designs and the banned outfit was following ISIS’ footsteps to create a situation in India similar to the one prevailing in Iraq and Syria.

The year also witnessed a plethora of terror cases in the trial courts here where probe agencies like NIA and the Delhi Police’s Special Cell revealed bone-chilling facts which showed the reach of outfits like Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and IM.

One of the most dangerous plot unfolded by NIA was that IM was planning to carry out nuclear strike in Surat for which they were trying to procure the logistics from Pakistan.

The fact was disclosed by NIA in its chargesheet filed in the court against Yasin Bhatkal in which the agency also said that Pakistan’s ISI was “closely connected” with the members of the outfit and was providing shelter to them.

Malegaon blasts: ATS says it has evidence against 9

Malegaon blastsThe Anti-Terrorism Squad of Maharashtra police opposed the discharge applications of nine Muslim accused arrested in the 2006 Malegaon blasts case on Monday.

The court had directed ATS to submit its say on the discharge applications, after one of the accused belonging to a right-wing Hindu group demanded that court seek replies of CBI and ATS on the issue.

The National Investigation Agency, which took over the probe from other agencies at a later stage, has exonerated these 9, and claimed that the blasts were in fact the handiwork of members of a Hindu extremist group.

The ATS, in its reply, said it had filed chargesheet against these nine accused on the basis of investigation into the conspiracy hatched by them, their respective roles and evidence of various kinds.

“The role of the accused was established on the basis of the samples taken from the spot and from the godown of the accused and their voice samples,” said Pascal D’souza, assistant commissioner of police, ATS, in the reply.

The evidence before the court was enough to frame charges against them, ATS said, adding that when CBI probed the case subsequently, its findings were “in consonance” with ATS’s findings.

The next hearing would be in August. The accused who have sought discharge are: Noorul Huda Samsudoha, Shabbir Ahmed Masiullah, Raees Ahmed Rajab Ali Mansuri, Dr Salman Farsi Abdul Latif Aimi, Dr Farogh Iqbal Ahmed Magdumi, Mohammad Ali Alam Sheikh, Asif Khan Bashir Khan alias Junaid, Mohammad Zahid Abdul Majid Ansari and Abrar Ahmed Gulam Ahmed. All of them got bail after the case was transferred to NIA.

NIA arrested Lokesh Sharma, Dhan Singh, Manohar Singh and Rajendra Choudhary and chargesheeted them. They came under the scanner after Swami Aseemanand, an accused in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blast case, allegedly confessed that Hindu extremists were also involved in the 2006 Malegaon blasts.

The blasts at Malegaon, around 300km from Mumbai, on September 8, 2006 claimed 37 lives, leaving over 125 injured. Most of the victims were Muslim pilgrims.

The town witnessed another blast in 2008, for which Sadhvi Pragya Singh, former army officer Srikant Purohit and others were arrested.

(Source:PTI)

NIA files second charge sheet against Bhatkal, others

bhatkalThe NIA on Thursday filed its second chargesheet against Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his close associate Asadullah Akhtar in connection with a case of alleged conspiracy to carry out terror acts in the country.

The supplementary charge sheet was filed before the court of district judge I S Mehta who posted the matter for February 24 for taking cognizance on the final report.

According to court sources, Bhatkal and Akhtar have been listed in the charge sheet under various sections of the IPC, including 120 (B) (criminal conspiracy), 121 (waging war against the country), 121 (A) (conspiracy to wage war) and under various sections of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The sources also said National Investigation Agency (NIA) has defined the roles of Bhatkal and Akhtar in the entire conspiracy of the IM to carry out the terror activities.

Bhatkal and Asadullah were among the 12 top IM members listed as absconders in the 42-page chargesheet filed earlier against arrested accused Mohammad Danish Ansari, Mohammad Aftab Alam, Imran Khan, Syed Maqbool and Obaid-Ur-Rehman under various penal provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the IPC for conspiracy to commit offences against the state.

Regarding Bhatkal’s role, the NIA had said that he, along with other conspirators, developed different modules and sleeper cells in Delhi, Darbhanga in Bihar, Nanded, Mumbai, Pune, Bhatkal in Karnataka and Hyderabad.

It had also said that Bhatkal had contacted several students of Anjuman Engineering College in Bhatkal to motivate them in the name of ‘jihad’.

The NIA had also said in the charge sheet that IM was formed in the aftermath of “communal mobilization caused due to factors like the Babri Masjid demolition incident (1992) and the riots in Gujarat after the Godhra incident (2002)”.

(Source: IANS)

Samjhauta blast case: Aseemanand, 3 others formally charged

bbA special National Investigation Agency (NIA) court here Friday framed charges against Hindu leader Swami Aseemanand and three others in the Samjhauta train blast case.

Following the framing of charges, Aseemanand and three others – Kamal Chand, Rajinder Chaudhary and Lokesh Sharma – will face trial for criminal conspiracy, murder, attempt to murder, sedition and other sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC), and various sections of the Explosive Substances Act, Railways Act, Damage to Public Property Act, and Prevention of Unlawful Activities Act.

Aseemanand, a member of the right-wing Hindu group Abhinav Bharat, was arrested in the Mecca Masjid blast in Hyderabad in which 14 people were killed in 2007.

The NIA had questioned Aseemanand about his role in the Samjhauta Express train blasts Feb 18, 2007, at Diwana village near the industrial town of Panipat, 160 km from here, in Haryana. The suitcase bombing took place in two coaches of the train.

A total of 68 people, a majority of them Pakistani nationals, lost their lives in the Samjhauta blast.

The train was going from Delhi to Attari, the last station on the Indian side. The passengers were to board the Samjhauta Express train, a twice-a-week peace train between India and Pakistan, to Lahore city in Pakistan the next day (Feb 19).

Aseemanand was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation Nov 19, 2010, from Haridwar.

The NIA later said that it has evidence against Aseemanand and others.

The charge sheet in the case was filed in 2011, four years after the bombing attack took place.

(Source:IANS)

Forced to sign blank papers, suspected terrorist tells court

Suspected Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) operative Abu Jundal Monday told a court here that he was forced to sign some documents and blank papers by National Investigation Agency (NIA) personnel and Maharashtra Police.
Meanwhile, the NIA supplied a copy of the chargesheet filed against him to his counsel M.S. Khan. Jundal told District Judge I.S. Mehta that he was forced to sign some documents and blank papers by the investigating agencies, court sources said.
The court has posted the matter for further hearing to Jan 18, 2014. Presently lodged in Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail, Jundal spoke in court through video conferencing. In the chargesheet, NIA said that Jundal taught Hindi to the 10 operatives who were involved in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.
It was alleged that Jundal joined LeT and went to Nepal to meet its commander Abdul Aziz for training in bomb making in November 2005. During training at the LeT camp he came in touch with top LeT operatives including its chief Hafiz Saeed, Zaki ur Rehman Lakhvi and Zarar Shah, the NIA added.
In the chargesheet the NIA also said that Jundal was recruiting people to the banned outfit to carry out terror strikes in India. Jundal was deported to India from Saudi Arabia in June 2012 for allegedly hatching a conspiracy to commit terror attacks within the country. NIA booked Jundal under various terror charges.

(Source: IANS)

13 get life term for terror camp hiring

An NIA special court on Friday sentenced 13 people to life imprisonment on charges of recruiting young men from Kerala for terrorist camps in Jammu and Kashmir.
National Investigation Agency (NIA) special judge S. Vijayakumar had Tuesday held the 13 guilty of waging war against the nation but let off five others for lack of evidence.

Of the 13, four were handed out a double life term. They included T. Nazeer, the self-styled south India chief of the terrorist group, Lashkar-e-Taiba.
The case came to light in 2008 when four Kerala youths were shot dead by security forces in Jammu and Kashmir. Nazeer was arrested in 2009 close to the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya.

Nazeer is already serving a life sentence for the 2006 Kozhikode twin bomb blasts.
(Source: IANS)