Warrant against Sanjay Dutt for non-appearance in court

A local magisterial court issued an arrest warrant against Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt today for not appearing before it to answer a complaint of criminal intimidation filed by producer Shakeel Noorani.

“We had sought arrest warrant against Dutt for non- appearance. The court has allowed our application,” said advocate Neeraj Gupta, Noorani’s lawyer.

The next hearing will be on August 29.

Noorani has filed a private complaint with the court demanding registration of a case against Dutt for criminal intimidation.

Dutt had abandoned midway in 2002 a film, ‘Jan ki Bazzi,’ which he was producing, said Noorani in his complaint, adding the actor did not even return the money already paid to him.

Noorani approached Indian Motion Pictures Producers Association which directed Dutt to pay back the money. Noorani later moved the Bombay High Court, seeking execution of the IMPPA’s order.

In the meantime, he started receiving threatening calls from some underworld figures who asked him to withdraw the case, the producer alleged.

Earlier too a warrant had been issued against Dutt for non-appearance in this case, but he was granted bail.

Dutt, who was convicted under the Arms Act in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, was released from the jail last year.

Source : PTI

NBW issued against Sanjay Dutt but given bail

Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt on Monday appeared before the local court here, after the court issued non-bailable warrant against him for failing to respond twice to the summons issued to him, in a case of criminal intimidation filed against him by a producer.

Around 3.30 p.m. Mr. Dutt along with lawyer arrived at the court. He was granted bail on the surety of Rs 10,000.

Producer Shakeel Noorani had moved the metropolitan court in Andheri in suburban Mumbai, alleging that the actor intimidated him. The two were at loggerheads after Mr. Dutt abandoned Mr. Noorani’s film ‘Jaan Ki Baazi’ half way through in 2002. According to the complaint filed by the producer, the actor had refused to repay Rs 50 lakh paid to him earlier.

Mr. Noorani had approached Indian Motion Picture Producers’ Association (IMPPA), which had directed Mr. Dutt to pay Rs 2 crores. Later the producer approached the Bombay High Court in 2010, as the actor did not pay the money.

According to the complaint, Mr. Noorani started getting threat calls after the court order and the calls were traced to Dubai and Pakistan. However, Mr. Dutt’ lawyer has contested the allegations saying the calls were engineered by Mr.Noorani after he visited Pakistan.

(By:PTI)

 

Court summons Sanjay Dutt in threat case

Actor Sanjay Dutt has been summoned by the local court on March 1 in a criminal case filed by producer Shakeel Noorani who has alleged he got threat calls from the underworld at Dutt’s behest.

However, actor’s lawyer Rizwan Merchant denied that threat calls were made at Dutt’s behest and said they would put up their case in the court.

Both the producer and actor are at loggerheads over an issue in which the actor disbanded Noorani’s film “Jaan Ki Baazi” half way in 2002 and refused to shoot further. Dutt also refused to return part payment of Rs 50 lakh to the producer, according to Noorani.

Acting on Noorani’s complaint, the Metropolitan Magistrate’s Court at suburban Andheri last week asked Dutt or his lawyer to appear before it to answer the allegations of criminal intimidation levelled against him by the producer.

Merchant confirmed having received the court summons. “Yes, we have received the summons,” he mentioned.

Noorani had earlier approached Indian Motion Picture Producers’ Association, which had directed Dutt to pay Rs2 crore to Noorani for the loss incurred during the shooting.

As the filmstar did not pay the money, Noorani approached the Bombay High Court and prayed for execution of the order passed by IMPPA. In 2010, the High Court ordered attachment of two properties of the 53-year-old actor.

Noorani alleged that soon after the HC order, he started getting threating phone calls which were traced to Dubai and Karachi after which he filed a criminal case.

Dutt’s lawyer refuted allegations that the calls had been made at his client’s behest and claimed he had been falsely implicated. Merchant said calls were made in 2011 and Noorani may have engineered the calls after visiting Pakistan.