New Delhi: A Delhi court today granted bail to Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal’s relative Vinay Bansal in a case related to an alleged scam in the Public Works Department (PWD).
Additional Sessions Judge Kamini Lau granted relief to Bansal, a nephew of Kejriwal, on a personal bond of Rs two lakh with one surety of like amount, advocate B S Joon, appearing for the accused, said.
Bansal, the son of Kejriwal’s late brother-in-law Surender Bansal, was arrested on May 10 by the Anti-Corruption Branch (ACB). Three FIRs, including one against a company run by the chief minister’s brother-in-law Surender Bansal, were registered by the ACB in this case on May 9 last year.
Three companies, including Renu Constructions (owned by Bansal, Kamal Singh and Pawan Kumar), were also named in the FIRs.
In a complaint, Rahul Sharma, founder of NGO Roads Anti-Corruption Organisation (RACO), had alleged financial irregularities in building a drain in north-west Delhi and accused Kejriwal and PWD Minister Satyendra Jain of misusing their office to grant the contracts to Bansal. However, they were not named in the FIR.
The Supreme Court Thursday reserved its verdict on a petition by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for transfer of the trial in the Ghaziabad district courts provident fund scam from Ghaziabad to Delhi.
The apex court’s special bench headed by Justice D.K. Jain discharged District Judge V.C. Gupta from the charge that he was interfering in the trial of accused in the scam, allegedly involving high court and district court judges.
The Central Bureau of Investigation Friday told the Supreme Court that it would require six more months to complete the probe in the 2G spectrum scam.
It said it needed more time as a lot of investigation has to be done within the country and possibly outside also.
Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium told the court that the CBI has to coordinate with the Income Tax department and the Directorate of Enforcement in the course of its investigation.
The petition filed by former Union Minister, Natwar Singh and his son regarding Iraq’s oil-for-food scam, has been rejected by the Supreme Court on Tuesday, Oct 5.
Buzz up!when Delhi High Court dismissed their plea, Singh again appealed before the Supreme Court by seeking documents of Volcker and R S Pathak Committees which had investigated their alleged role in the scam.
However, the Supreme Court terminated their petition by claiming that seeking documents were the tactics of delaying the scam case from the part of the prime accused.
The court also ordered for the proceedings of the trials before the Enforcement Directorate (ED) and said that no adjournments should be given on unreasonable grounds.
The Delhi High Court Wednesday directed the city Commissioner of Police Y.S. Dadwal to conduct an independent probe into the scam of ‘ghost’ employees in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).
A division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Madan B. Lokur directed the police commissioner to hold a detailed inquiry into allegations that the civic agency has on its rolls certain employees that do not exist.
The court was hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) by voluntary organisation Jagrook Welfare Society through counsel C.S. Parashar, seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation inquiry or an independent agency’s probe into the scam.
After a media report in November last year, the MCD revealed that there were 22,853 gardeners and sweepers as ‘ghost employees’ on its payrolls and admitted it was an administrative lapse that cost the civic body Rs.17 crore every month.
The court slammed the MCD May 12 for ‘concealing facts’ in its affidavit on money paid to ‘ghost employees’.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice Madan B. Lokur and Justice Mukta Gupta had said: ‘This affidavit conceals everything and reveals nothing. It does not disclose facts. This is a very nicely drafted affidavit concealing the facts by the agency.’
The high court has now directed the police to submit the investigation report on the same within two months and slated the matter for further hearing on Aug 25.