Raja’s letter to PM not based on discussion with me: AG

Here in Delhi court  the Attorney General G E Vahanvati told that former Telecom Minister A Raja‘s letter to the Prime Minister regarding the DoT’s policy to be adopted for 2G spectrum allocation was not based on discussion with him and the then External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee.

He said the contents of Raja’s December 26, 2007 letter to the PM regarding discussion with him as the then Solicitor General and Mukherjee on the policy were ‘not correct’.

“It is wrong to suggest that what was communicated to the Prime Minister as future course of action was based on the discussion with the then Minister for External Affairs (Mukherjee) and me.

“The contents of this letter to the effect that ‘the discussions with the Minister for External Affairs and Solicitor General of India have further enlightened me to take further preemptive and proactive decisions on these issues’ are not correct,” Vahanvati, who was deposing as a witness in the 2G spectrum case, told Special Judge O P Saini during his cross examination by Raja’s counsel Sushil Kumar.

On being shown an annexure appended to the letter by Special Public Prosecutor U U Lalit, Vahanvati clarified that the issues mentioned in it were not discussed in the meeting in the first week of December 2007 with Mukherjee.

“I wish to clarify that the issues mentioned in the annexure to this letter were not discussed with the then Minister for External Affairs during the meeting as referred to by me above. I also wish to add that what is being referred to in this annexure as being concurred by me had not been concurred by me,” he told.

Vahanvati’s statement assumes significance as the CBI, in its charge sheet, had alleged that Raja had written the letter to the PM on December 26, 2007 and had “intentionally and deliberately misrepresented the facts about first-come-first serve policy…”

2G: Arguments on charges against Essar, Loop Thursday

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Thursday reiterated that Loop was a front company of the Essar Group and was used to acquire licences and spectrum for offering second generation (2G) telecom services.

Special Public Prosecutor U.U. Lalit, while advancing the probe agency’s argument on charge against Essar and Loop promoters, told CBI Special Judge O.P. Saini here that the basic case of the prosecution was that Essar Group violated the guidelines for grant of telecom services.

The Essar group, however, has denied any wrong doing. The hearing will continue Friday.

Can Swamy’s complaint be tagged with your FIR, CBI asked

A special court Monday directed Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to file its response on whether Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy’s private complaint in the 2G spectrum allocation case could be combined with the agency’s FIR.

CBI Special Judge O.P. Saini said: ‘CBI should file its response by May 4.’

Swamy had been asked whether he wants his complaint to be ‘tagged’ with CBI’s FIR and he said he had no problem.

‘The scope of my application (private complaint) overlaps with the CBI case, but in some cases, its ambit is wider than that of the CBI’s FIR,’ Swamy told the court.

He also sought to be given a ‘status’ in the case.

In his response, CBI counsel A.K. Singh said that they need at least two weeks’ time to respond on the issue.

Swamy, who heads the Janata Party, told the court that he is also willing to assist the CBI and Special Public Prosecutor U.U. Lalit, who has been appointed by the Supreme Court as a prosecutor in this case.

Swamy’s private complaint on 2G spectrum allocation had been transferred to the special court set up at the instance of the Supreme Court to try all cases related to the scam.

The complaint was heard in the court of Special CBI Judge Pradeep Chaddah, who marked the file to District Judge Pratibha Rani after the last hearing March 17. Rani, in turn, asked Swamy to appear before Saini.

Swamy’s 375-page complaint, seeking prosecution of former communications minister A. Raja, and Swamy’s appointment as public prosecutor under Section 5(3) of the Prevention of Corruption Act was filed on Dec 15, 2010 and the court had Jan 7 termed it as ‘maintainable’.