Two DDA employees, aide sent to jail in corruption case

A Delhi court Saturday awarded varying jail terms, with a maximum of three years, to two Delhi Development Authority (DDA) employees and their accomplice in a corruption case.

Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Special Judge Pradeep Chaddah said: ‘The menace of corruption has entered into each and every segment of the society. Because lenient views have been taken in the past, we have reached the present hopeless situation.’

All the three, including a DDA assistant director, were arrested in 2001 by the CBI on a complaint of Chattar Singh, a resident of Nangloi.

‘The officials had demanded Rs.5,000 bribe from him for issuing a no objection certificate (NOC) for his property,’ Singh alleged in his complaint, adding that the NOC was required as he wanted to take a loan against his property.

The court said: ‘DDA Assistant Director Pradeep Kumar Sharma and clerk Ved Prakash are awarded three years jail.’

The court has also imposed a fine of Rs.1 lakh on each of the two convicts.

Tea vendor Inderjeet, who acted as their conduit, was awarded one-year jail term along with a fine of Rs.20,000.

The CBI arrested the DDA employees from their office when the complainant was paying Rs.3,000 as bribe to them.

Two cases filed over MCD’s ghost staff, court told

Delhi Police Wednesday informed the Delhi High Court that two criminal cases had been registered on the issue of ghost employees in the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD).

The two first information reports (FIRs) were registered under penal provisions related to cheating, forgery and harbouring offenders.

Police counsel Najmi Waziri informed the division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Manmohan, that the FIRs were registered in matters where 22,853 gardeners and sweepers were found to be ghost employees.

He said police have completed investigation in the matter after going through the records and documents supplied by the MCD.

In yet another matter, police are yet to commence investigation as the MCD supplied the documents related to another set of 22,223 ghost employees Oct 23.

‘Police will go through the records and after final investigation an FIR will be registered in the matter,’ said Waziri.

The court was hearing a Public Interest Litigation filed by Jagrook Welfare Society, an NGO, through counsel C.S. Parashar seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation or an independent agency probe into the scam.

According to the NGO, a complaint was lodged with the anti-corruption branch but no FIR was registered.

The petitioner also sought the court’s direction for initiation of a departmental inquiry against MCD officers for alleged involvement in the scam.

High court disposes of two petitions on CWG graft

Delhi High Court Wednesday disposed of two petitions seeking separate inquiries into alleged corruption in the funding of the 2010 Commonwealth Games (CWG).

The second petition, filed by lawyer Ajay Aggarwal Sep 29, sought an independent audit of the works and sealing of records pertaining to tenders, work measurement and expenses above Rs.1 lakh related to the Games.

Aggarwal had also demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged irregularities in the multi-million-rupee deals for the Games preparations.

Besides Games organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi, Aggarwal had made the cabinet secretary, the youth affairs and the sports secretary, and the CBI as respondents.

But the bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Manmohan said the petitioner could file documents related to any evidence in the matter before a committee appointed by the government to look into the graft allegations.

However, the bench allowed the petitioner to approach the court after the enquiry.

The bench earlier Wednesday morning similarly disposed of a petition filed by former Indian Administration Service (IAS) officer Arun Bhatia on the same grounds. Bhatia had sought an inquiry into alleged misappropriation of funds in the CWG.

The court advised him that he could file related documents before the committee looking into the graft allegations, and said he could approach the court after the probe.

Gangrape charges framed against two CBI men

Amending its previous orders, a local court here Thursday framed gang-rape charges against two officials of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

Additional District and Sessions Judge Lalit Batra framed gang rape charges against CBI inspector Subhash Kundu and constable Mahender Singh.

According to Chandigarh police officials, the two were booked in 2007 after a woman of Haryana’s Hisar town filed a complaint against them.

‘The complainant had accused Kundu and Singh of raping her and of forcing her to maintain physical relations with them for nearly seven years. A case was filed against the two June 26, 2007,’ a police official said.

‘A case was registered against the complainant and her husband in Hisar in late 1990s. That case was later transferred to CBI, on the orders of Punjab and Haryana High Court, and after that the victim came in contact with the two accused,’ he added.

In her complaint, the victim stated that the CBI officials sought sexual favours from her and threatened to implicate her in false cases. She said that she was raped several times, from 2001 to 2007, at various places in Hisar, New Delhi and Chandigarh.

Earlier, Oct 16, 2008, the local court here had framed rape charges against the accused cops but later the public prosecutor approached the court for the amendment of charges.

The next date of hearing is slated Aug 26.