Posted On by &filed under Criminal Law News.


A Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act special court here Saturday granted bail to all nine accused in the 2006 Malegaon blasts that killed 37 people, as the National Investigation Agency decided not to oppose their pleas, a lawyer said.

“MCOCA Special Judge Y.D. Shinde granted bail to all nine accused after the NIA formally informed the court that it would not oppose the bail plea,” Jalil Ahmed, lawyer of the accused, told.

“They have been granted bail on the surety of Rs.50,000 each with a condition of not leaving the country without the permission of the court,” he added.

Two accused will continue to remain in jail as they were also accused of being involved in the multiple train blasts that took place in Mumbai July 11, 2006.

“Mohammed Ali and Asif Khan, inspite of being granted bail in this case, will not be released as they are allegedly involved in the 7/11 case,” Public Prosecutor Rohini Salian told.

The NIA said it decided not to oppose the bail applications of the nine accused after deliberations and considering the facts and circumstances.

The nine accused pleaded that they were in jail for the past four years and that there was no direct evidence of their involvement in the blasts.

Ahmed said Swami Aseemanand, who had been arrested for his alleged role in the 2007 Mecca Masjid blasts in Hyderabad, confessed that the accused were not actually responsible for the Malegaon blasts.

“Aseemanand’s confession pointed to a right-wing group’s involvement in the case. From his confession, it is clear that those responsible for the 2006 Malegaon blasts, are persons far removed from the current accused,” Ahmed said.

The nine accused in the 2006 bomb blasts in Malegaon town of Maharashtra’s Nashik district filed bail applications in October.

Maharashtra anti-terrorism squad, which had probed the case before the NIA, arrested nine people – Shabir Ahmed, Salman Farsi, Rais Ahmed, Noorulhuda Doha, Asif Khan, Mohammed Ali, Farooque Ansari, Javed Sheikh and Abrar Ahmed – for their alleged involvement in the multiple blasts in the minority-dominated town.

The explosions near a mosque Sep 8, 2006 killed 37 people and injured over 100. The accused applied for bail in March as well, but it was denied by court.


Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of
avatar
wpDiscuz