Posted On by &filed under Criminal Law News.

Delhi Court doesn't cancel boy's bail in Merc hit-&-run case

Delhi Court doesn’t cancel boy’s bail in Merc hit-&-run case

A Delhi court today refused to cancel the bail granted by a juvenile justice board to a teenager who had allegedly run over a 32-year-old man with his father’s Mercedes leading to his death.

Additional Sessions Judge Arvind Kumar dismissed an appeal filed by victim Siddharth Sharma’s sister seeking to cancel the bail given to the youth, who recently turned major.

The plea to cancel the bail was also supported by Delhi Police which had said the relief was wrongly granted.

Prosecutor Atul Shrivastava had earlier argued that the board had granted bail to the boy without any fresh bail application.

“The board had first denied bail to the boy on April 19.

Thereafter, he was granted bail on April 26 by the board without filing of fresh application which was wrong.

“We were not even shown the psychological report of the boy due to which we could not argue on that aspect,” he had said.

The boy’s counsel, however, had submitted that he was rightly granted bail and the court should also see that it was for the welfare of the youth.

The incident took place on April 4 when marketing executive Siddharth Sharma was trying to cross a road near Ludlow Castle School in north Delhi and the speeding Mercedes hit him.

A case under IPC sections 304 A (causing death by rash or negligent act), 279 (driving on a public way so rashly or negligently as to endanger human life) and 337 (causing hurt by an act which endangers human life) was lodged against him.

The board had on April 26 granted bail to the youth who had sought the relief to appear in entrance examinations.

The police has booked the juvenile for the alleged offence of culpable homicide not amounting to murder and he was sent to the reform home.

The police had earlier arrested a man who claimed to be the actual driver of the Mercedes at the time of the incident but did a volte-face after he got to know the victim was dead.

The driver and the boy’s father, who was also arrested earlier, were granted bail by the court.

The youth had appeared before a Delhi court to surrender and moved a bail plea which was rejected on the ground that it was a matter of JJB. He was then produced before the board.

( Source – PTI )

Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of