Posted On by &filed under Criminal Law News.

Journalist Syed Mohammad Ahmed Kazmi, arrested in March for his alleged role in the bomb attack here on an Israeli diplomat’s car in February, walked out of Tihar Jail Saturday, a day after the Supreme Court granted him bail.

Kazmi, aged 52, has been in prison since March 6 in connection with the Feb 13 attack on Aurangazeb Road-Race Course Road crossing, near the prime minister’s residence in central Delhi.

The car was being used by Israeli defence attache’s wife Tel Yehoshua Koren at the time of the bombing and she was injured in the terror strike.

Kazmi was released from Tihar Jail around 8.30 p.m.

Hundreds of his happy friends and relatives welcomed him outside the prison with garlands and flowers, as a beaming Kazmi stepped outside jail number three. They also burst fire crackers.

Standing among the crowd was Kazmi’s wife Jahan Ara, aged 45. She told that her husband had “finally got justice”.

Kazmi’s 18-year-old son Turab Ali said his father was innocent.

Kazmi had been detained under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. He moved his first bail plea March 28.

The apex court had directed that Kazmi be “released on bail to the satisfaction of the chief metropolitan magistrate, upon such conditions as may be deemed fit and proper”.

The top court directed Kazmi to surrender his passport, report to the local police station, and not leave the city limits where he would be residing without the permission of the Court, so as to ensure his presence at the time of the trial.



Leave a Reply

Be the First to Comment!

Notify of