Madras High Court today sought to know from the government whether it had implemented its earlier order to arrest absconding film producer Madhan, main accused in the MBBS admission scam case, allegedly involving over Rs 70 crore.
When the Additional Public Prosecutor (APP) informed about the developments in the investigation into the case and a status report filed in the court, a division bench comprising justices A Selvam and P Kalaiyarasan said, “We do not want all these status reports. We want to know if the earlier order to arrest him had been implemented.”
“What happened to the arrest of the main accused Madhan? Is he in India or abroad,” the judges asked.
When the APP submitted that two of the associates of Madhan have been traced to Nepal and were yet to be arrested, the bench insisted on production of the order of the Chennai City Police Commissioner deputing a special team to arrest them.
However, the bench said it did not underestimate the ability of the state police.
When the APP sought three weeks time to arrest Madhan, the bench granted time upto October six.
The bench also adjourned the case to October six.
On September 15, the court had issued directions to the City Police Commissioner to arrest Madhan, who was alleged to have collected huge sums from over 100 parents, totalling Rs 74 crore, promising to get MBSS seats in SRM group of institutions here and has been absconding since May 25 leaving behind a ‘suicide note’ stating that he would end his life at Varanasi.
He had acknowledged receipt of several crore of rupees from students and parents, promising MBBS seats in SRM institutions.
( Source – PTI )