The Madras High Court today warned the Tamil Nadu government that contempt of court proceedings would be initiated if compensation was not paid to each of the two Rajasthani women and two minor girls, who were sexually abused by police in Hosur last year, before March 9.
The First Bench, comprising Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice M M Sundresh perused the affidavit filed by the Additional Secretary, Public Department, authorising Krishnagiri district collector to draw Rs 4 lakh being compensation to be disbursed at the rate of Rs one lakh to each of the victim which is yet to be paid.
“We fail to appreciate how the officer himself can reduce the compensation after he has been directed vide order dated January 6 to pay a compensation of Rs three lakh per victim,” the bench said.
“Before we initiate contempt proceedings against the officer concerned, we would give one more opportunity to the officer to ensure that the payment is made well before the next date of hearing and receipt obtained failing which the officer shall remain present in court,” the bench said and posted the matter for compliance to March 9.
The bench had on December 23 last directed the Additional Director General of Police, CB-CID to nominate an officer not below the rank of the Deputy Superintendent of Police to conduct the probe into the Hosur incident.
The status report of CB-CID confirmed that they were sexually abused by police at Hosur on October 8 last.
After going through the status report, the Madras High Court had on January 6 directed the state government to pay the compensation of Rs three lakh to each victim within a period of one month.
The women and children, selling plastic ware at Hosur bus stand were picked up by police on October 8 2014, taken to the police control room under the pretext of questioning and sexually abused.