Actor Salman Khan on Friday did not appear before a local court here in connection with the blackbuck poaching case.
Khan’s counsel moved two applications in the court, one for his exemption from the court on Friday and the other for permanent exemption from personal appearance.
The court accepted the application for exemption from appearing today and posted the matter for hearing on the second application of permanent exemption on December 19, Hastimal Saraswat, counsel for Salman Khan told reporters.
He said the ground for not appearing on Friday was his engagement in a film’s shooting.
A gangster has threatened to kill Salman by posting a death threat on Facebook.
Salman Khan had filed a plea against his conviction by a lower court, which had sentenced him to five years in jail.
During a hearing on July 4, Sessions Court Judge Chandra Kumar Songara had directed him to appear before the court on September 27, failing which his bail plea may be cancelled.
Khan is accused of killing two blackbucks during the shooting of a film in Jodhpur in 1998.
Jodhpur: It was made clear today by the judge hearing a plea against the Salman Khan’s conviction in the blackbuck poaching case,that the actor will have to continue taking permission from the court every time he travels abroad.
The actor’s counsel had moved an application before the District and Sessions Judge Chandra Kumar Songara here on Friday, seeking exemption from the requirement.
But he withdrew the application after the prosecution raised objections.
The court is hearing the Bollywood star’s plea against his conviction by a lower court, which had handed him a five-year jail sentence for killing two blackbucks 20 years ago in Kankani village near here.
Public prosecutor Pokar Ram Bishnoi said since the arguments had already begun it would not be appropriate to grant Khan permanent relaxation from permission to travel.
Khan’s lawyer Mahesh Bora had cited a similar relaxation allowed to the actor earlier by the high court during the trial of another poaching case against him.
When the judge asked why there was a problem in seeking the court’s permission each time, Khan’s counsel withdrew the application.
The lawyer, however, moved a fresh application seeking permission for Khan to travel to Malta and Saudi Arabia in August and September for shooting assignments.
This was granted by the judge.
Arguing against the trial court judgment convicting Khan, his lawyers mentioned the delay in the filing of the FIR, saying that this allowed time to concoct evidence to frame the actor.
Khan’s counsel will continue to argue his case during the next hearings on September 5 and 6.
The trial court had convicted Khan on April 5 for killing the endangered animals in October 1998, when Bollywood movie ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’ was being shot.
The court had acquitted his four co-actors Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Neelam and Sonali Bendre.
The district and sessions court began the hearing the plea against that conviction a month later.
A Jodhpur trial court today convicted Salman Khan, in the 1998 blackbuck poaching case. However, the other accused, Saif Ali Khan, Tabu, Neelam and Sonali Bendre have been acquitted.
Salman has been convicted under Section 51 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, and has been sentenced to 2 years in jail. However he is likely to be granted bail today itself.
It should be noted that blackbuck is an endangered species protected under Schedule 1 of the Indian Wildlife Act.Apart from the actors, there are two other accused in the case – travel agent Dushyant Singh and Dinesh Gawre, Salman’s assistant at the time. Gawre is still absconding.
Back in 2006, Salman was convicted in one of the cases and was sentenced to five years in jail. While the actor spent a week in jail, the sentence was suspended by the Rajasthan High Court.
As reported, Bishnoi Sabha, which had filed the blackbuck poaching case, has now decided to appeal against the acquittal of the four co-accused in the case.
Actor Salman Khan today recorded his statement in a court here in the alleged blackbuck poaching case and pleaded not guilty.
51-year-old Khan was asked 65 questions by Chief Judicial Magistrate Dalpat Singh Rajpurohit. He pleaded innocence in the case.
“Khan has not committed any crime. After the film shooting, he used to remain in the hotel. He has been framed in the case and we would produce the evidence in favour of his innocence on the next date,” said his counsel H M Saraswat.
Khan reached the court with other co-accused in the case – Neelam, Tabu, Sonali Bendre and Saif Ali Khan at 11.20 AM.
He was in the court for close to one hour and left immediately afer his statement was recorded.
Earlier the court had summoned Salman and the other co-accused for recording of their statements in a case filed against them for alleged poaching of two blackbucks at Kankani village in 1998.