Amar Singh denies doctoring CD

Noted lawyer Prashant Bhushan on Monday filed a contempt petition in the Supreme court against former Samajwadi Party general secretary Amar Singh over the CD controversy.

The CD allegedly showed him (Bhushan) talking to to Mulayam Singh Yadav and Amar Singh about fixing a judge for Rs 4 crore.In his petition Bhushan said that the CD had been doctored with the intention of maligning his reputation.

Demanding a suo moto investigation into the matter, the petion said that the forensic report of the CD showed that tampering was done with the CD.

Meanwhile, former Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Amar Singh has denied doctoring a CD allegedly containing a conversation with Shanti Bhushan and said the senior lawyer, who is co-chair of the Lokpal Bill drafting committee, should give his voice sample for analysis.

“Why the hell will I make the CD where my voice is also there? From day one, I am saying that the CD is doctored, spliced,” Singh told CNN-IBN channel.

“Shanti Bhushan should give his voice sample,” said Amar Singh.

Prashant Bhushan, who is Shanti Bhushan’s son and a member of the Lokpal panel, had got two top forensic labs specialising in audio analysis to certify that the CD was a fake. It allegedly contained a conversation between Shanti Bhushan, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav and now expelled party leader Amar Singh.

Prashant Bhushan said Sunday that the CD was doctored to derail the civil society movement against graft and the proceedings in two important Supreme Court cases.

Amar Singh threatened to launch a defamation suit against the Bhushans, and also file a contempt of court petition.

Singh said Prashant Bhushan should not have played an earlier CD which was the subject of a court case. Bhushan had claimed that the latest CD had entire conversations cut and spliced together from the previous audio disc.

“In spite of that (being sub-judice and dispute of authenticity), excerpts were read by Prashant Bhushan from CD (at press conference). I will tell him that ‘papa don’t preach’,” said Singh, claiming that he would file a contempt of court plea against him.

“I will file a defamation suit against them,” Amar Singh asserted, claiming the Bhushans had said he was the ‘producer’ of the CD.

The alleged conversation in the CD has Shanti Bhushan, a former law minister, promising Mulayam Singh about influencing a judge for a price and suggesting that Prashant Bhushan will faciliate the “fixing”.

Amar Singh said that while his and Mulayam Singh’s voices were spliced from earlier recordings, he wondered what context Shanti Bhushan’s voice had been lifted from that would mention a large cash figure.

Court denies relief against arrest to ex-India cricketer

The Delhi High Court Tuesday refused interim protection against arrest to cricketer Jacob Joseph Martin, who represented India in ODIs in 1999, in a case of forging documents to facilitate illegal immigration.

Justice Hima Kohli directed Martin, and the deputy commissioner of police (DCP) and assistant commissioner of police (ACP) of Indira Gandhi International (IGI) airport to appear before her April 4.

The court earlier sought a status report from police in the case against Martin, 38, accused of allegedly forging documents to facilitate illegal immigration.

Police told the court in their reply that Martin appeared neither before the DCP nor the ACP and they needed to arrest him.

Justice Kohli declined the plea of Martin, an Indian Railways batsman who played 10 one-day international matches for India, for an immediate direction to police not to arrest him as he would co-operate in investigation.

The court’s direction came on Martin’s plea challenging the trial court’s order dismissing his anticipatory bail plea.

The cricketer, who made his debut against the West Indies in 1999, moved the high court after the trial court issued a non-bailable warrant against him and initiated proceedings to declare him a proclaimed offender for failing to join the investigation.

Top law official suspended, Raja denies wrongdoing

The Madras High Court Tuesday ordered the suspension of the Tamil Nadu and Pondicherry Bar Council chairman on charges of trying to influence a judge in a case linked to former central minister A. Raja, who has denied any wrongdoing.

A division bench of Justice F.M. Ibrahim Khalifulla and Justice M.M. Sundaresh ordered the immediate suspension of R.K. Chandramohan from his Bar Council post.

They were hearing a petition of G. Rajendran, praying for initiating contempt of court proceedings against Chandramohan, who has been accused of trying to influence Justice R. Raghupathy last year.

The judge was hearing the bail application of C. Krishnamurthy and Kriba Shridhar, who were accused of forging marksheets.

The bench Tuesday also said that Chandramohan should not be allowed to function as chairman pending disciplinary action against him by the Bar Council of India.

Last year, Justice Reghupathy sensationally declared in an open court that a central minister had tried to influence him to grant bail to the two men.

The men were being investigated by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).

The judge had threatened to complain to the central government and the prime minister about the union minister’s interference but did not name the minister.

Shridhar, who was failing in his exams for the past two years, joined hands with his father and allegedly changed his answer-sheet to get extra marks in the subject. Later, the CBI found the father-son duo to be involved in forging marksheets.

Detailing the incident, Justice Reghupathy wrote to then Chief Justice K.G. Balakrishnan that Chandramohan came to him on June 12, 2009, around 2 p.m.

After a brief chat, Chandramohan spoke about the bail petition of two of his clients who he said were close to DMK leader and then central minister Raja, who is now embroiled in the G2 spectrum row.

The judge said Chandramohan handed over his mobile telephone saying a central minister wanted to talk to him.

“Right away I discouraged such conduct of Chandramohan and told him that the case would be disposed of in accordance with the law if listed before me,” the letter said.

Raja denied that he ever tried to influence any judge. “I am a man of integrity,” he told TimesNow television channel.

AIADMK General Secretary J.Jayalalithaa had earlier said it was Raja who had tried to influence Justice Reghupathy.

“Though the honourable judge refrained from naming the union minister, it does not require any super-human intelligence to conclude that it was none other than the telecom scam-tainted Raja,” she said last July.

She noted that this was the first time in India that a sitting high court judge had accused a union minister of threatening him.

Senior RSS leader named suspect in Ajmer blast case, denies charge

Senior Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) leader Indresh Kumar was present when the conspiracy to carry out a blast at Khwaja Moinuddin Chishti’s shrine in Ajmer was hatched, according to the charge-sheet in the case. He has denied the charges.

However, Indresh Kumar has not been named as accused in the charge-sheet filed by the Rajasthan Police’s Anti-Terrorist Squad in an Ajmer court Friday. Five supporters of radical Hindu group Abhinav Bharat have been responsible for the Oct 11, 2007 blast, in which three people were killed and 30 injured.

“Indresh has so far not been made an accused in the case as further investigations are required, but he seems to be a conspirator,” a source in the ATS said.

The RSS leader termed the charges a “a political conspiracy” against him by the Congress government.

Rejecting any substance in the allegations, Indresh Kumar claimed that “the investigating agency has been used against me”.

He told the CNN-IBN newschannel that the RSS did not believe in violence and he would approach the court for justice.

The ATS has charged Devendra Gupta, Lokesh Sharma, Chander Shekhar Lave, Sandeep Dange and Ramji Kalsangre with murder, attempt to murder, conspiracy, harming or defiling place of worship and other crimes.

Gupta, Sharma and Lave are in judicial custody while Dange and Kalsangre are absconding.

Another accused, Sunil Joshi, died during the course of investigation.

The 806-page charge sheet says that the conspiracy for the bomb blast was hatched during a meeting held in room number 26 of Gujarati Samaj Guesthouse situated near MI Road in Jaipur Oct 21, 2005. The accused had checked in under false names.

According to the charge sheet, Indresh Kumar was present at the secret meeting in which six other functionaries of the outfit were also present.

“Indresh suggested that they attach themselves to some religious organisation so that they can pass themselves off as pilgrims,” the charge-sheet says.

Swami Asinanand of Abhinav Bharat Sangthan and Sadhvi Pragya of Jai Vande Matram Sangthan were also present in the meeting where not only was the conspiracy hatched but different tasks were also assigned to some of the conspirators, the ATS said.

According to the ATS, the bombs were made in Indore and the area where the bombs were to be planted were identified in a meeting held in Dang area of Gujarat between Feb 11 and 13, 2007.

Malegaon blast: Apex court denies bail to armyman

The Supreme Court Monday declined to grant bail to the 2008 Malegaon bombings accused P.S. Purohit, a lieutenant colonel of the Indian Army.

An apex court bench of Justice Markandey Katju and Justice T.S. Thakur observed that the offence was too serious. At least seven people were killed and more than 100 injured in the bomb blasts and the following stampede in Maharashtra’s Malegaon town.