Production warrants against Bhatkal, two others

bhatkalA court here Tuesday issued a production warrant against Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and three others for planning terror strikes in India.

Issuing the warrant against Bhatkal, his associate Asadullah Akhtar and one more accused, District Judge I.S. Mehta at Patiala House court fixed April 2 for further hearing.

Bhatkal and Akhtar are presently in the custody of Maharashtra Police and being quizzed for their alleged role in a terror case there. The third, Obaid-ur-Rehman, is in the custody of Karnataka Police.

The NIA last month charge sheeted Bhatkal, Akhtar, Manzar Imam and U.Ahmed for their alleged role in the conspiracy and commission of major terrorist attacks at different parts in the country.

It was the second charge sheet filed in the case, registered on Sep 10, 2012 against members of IM for carrying out terrorist activities and conspiracy for waging war against the country.

The NIA said that Bhatkal with other IM operatives were allegedly involved in major bomb blast incidents – in Hyderabad (2007), Jaipur (2008), Delhi (2008), Ahmedabad and Surat (2008), German Bakery in Pune (2010), Chinnaswami Stadium, Bangalore (2010), Jama Masjid in Delhi (2010), Sheetlaghat (2010), Mumbai (2011) and Dilsukhnagar in Hyderabad (2013).

In July 2013, the NIA had charge sheeted five cadres of IM – Mohammad Danish Ansari, Mohammad Aftab Alam, Imran Khan, Syed Maqbool and Obaid-ur-Rehman – under various provisions of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act and the Indian Penal Code for conspiracy to commit offences against the state.

(Source: IANS)

Stop victimisation of Muslim youths

Several activists and political leaders, including CPI-M general secretary Prakash Karat and RJD chief Lalu Prasad, has demanded that “the harassment and victimisation of innocent Muslims youths” by security agencies in the name of fighting terror be stopped.

In a convention on “Politics of Terror”, organised here by representatives of Left and other political parties, they asked the government to stop the arrests of “innocent Muslim youths”.

Various universities lecturers, Political leaders, human rights activists, lawyers and professors has been participated in the convention.

Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader Lalu Prasad said: “The situation is deteriorating day by day for the Muslim community.” Police is targeting Bihar’s Muslim youths, he said.

“After Uttar Pradesh’s Azamgarh, Bihar’s Muslim youths are on the hit-list of police and central agencies,” Yadav alleged at the meet.

Districts of Bihar like Sitamarhi, Madhubani and recently Darbhanga have witnessed such arrests.

Darbhanga’s native Fasih Mahmood, an alleged Indian Mujahideen operative was arrested by Delhi Police on charges of a 2010 bombing incident at Jama Masjid here.

The 35-year-old engineer from Bihar, employed in Saudi Arabia, was arrested at Delhi airport Oct 22 when he arrived after his deportation from that country.

Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) leader Karat said: “The agencies are misusing the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act (UAPA). The Muslim youths are their soft target. Those youths are arrested on allegations of terror (and are) very easily booked under this law.”

Lok Janshakti Party (LJP) president Ramvilas Paswan, CPI general secretary A.B. Bardhan and independent member of the Rajya Sabha Mohd. Adeeb also condemned the arrests of Muslim youths.

They also said, “Several Muslim youths have been acquitted by the courts in the past few years after they were found innocent of terror charges.”

Court issues production warrant against Abu Jundal for Nov 26

The court in Delhi ordered  Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist and 26/11 Mumbai attack key handler Abu Jundal to be produced before it on November 26 as he could not appear before it after expiry of his judicial custody period.

District judge IS Mehta issued a production

warrant against Jundal for his appearance in the court after jail authorities told it that he was in the custody of Gujarat ATS, court sources said.

Gujarat ATS had earlier taken the custody of Jundal for questioning of his alleged role in the 2006 Karanawati Express train blast at Ahmedabad station. Jundal is alleged to be one of the main conspirators of the blast.

Jundal was in judicial custody till Saturday in connection with an FIR registered this year by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) following unearthing of LeT’s conspiracy for terror strikes across the country.

The court on October 20 had remanded Jundal to judicial custody till today after the NIA had said he was not required for further custodial interrogation in connection with the case.

Jundal had earlier been handed over to the ATS Mumbai after the Delhi Police had said he was no longer required to be interrogated by it in the Jama Masjid attack case.

Mumbai ATS had wanted him in connection with the 2006 Aurangabad arms haul case, the 26/11 Mumbai mayhem, the 2010 German bakery blast and the Nasik Academy attack.

He was brought back to Delhi by the Mumbai ATS which had produced him before a magisterial court in Delhi on Oct 4.

 

By PTI

Supreme Court orders status quo at excavated site near historic Jama Masjid

Pulling up a legislator for taking the law into his hands, the Supreme Court ordered status quo over a structure built near the excavated remains of a purported Mughal-era mosque near the historic Jama Masjid.

An apex court bench of Chief Justice Altamas Kabir, Justice S.S. Nijjar and Justice J. Chelameswar asked all the parties to maintain status quo till Thursday when the matter would come up for hearing.

The court order on status quo came on the petition by Delhi legislator Shoaib Iqbal challenging the Sep 19 Delhi High Court order directing the demolition of the structure in Subhash Park.

The high court Sep 19 reiterated its July 30 order, directing the demolition of a wall constructed allegedly by Iqbal and his supporters for what they called protecting the purported mosque, whose remains were discovered during digging by Delhi Metro.
Ordering status quo.

“We would like to hear the views of the ASI (Archaeological Survey of India, the Delhi government and the Union of India and, thereafter, we will go into the details.”

The court pulled up Iqbal and said: “Why did you take the law into your hand? You think that you can do anything you like. Why did you do that. Duty is not cast upon you to do illegal things.”

Chief Justice Kabir slammed Iqbal when senior counsel Anoop Chaudhari, who appeared for Iqbal, mentioned the matter in the post-lunch session in the court.

Chief Justice Kabir said to Chaudhari “You could have taken injunction but you take law in your hand”

The senior counsel urged the court to rule that the wall built to protect the mosque’s remains be preserved till the high court decided the issue. Chaudhari told the court that no activity was going on at the site.

On a poser, the court was told that it was a public land and was being used as a park.
Iqbal in his petition contended that the demolition of the wall may lead to “communal violence, disruption of peace and harmony through out the country…”. He said that this was also the view of police.

Some residents claim that the excavated remains are that of the 17th century Mughal-era Akbarabadi mosque. The high court has asked the ASI to verify the claim.

 

By PTI

Give permanent shelter to homeless near Jama Masjid: Court

The Delhi High Court Wednesday asked the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to provide a permanent alternative shelter to the homeless who were using a facility near Jama Masjid before it was demolished in 2003.

 The division bench of Chief Justice Dipak Misra and Justice Sanjiv Khanna said: ‘Till the shelter home is constructed, the Urban Shelter Improvement Board (USIB) is directed to find a building (near the place of the erstwhile shelter home) where the homeless people can be accommodated.’

The bench took up the matter for hearing on its own initiative on the basis of media reports highlighting the plight of the homeless after the demolition.

 The shelter home was pulled down in 2003 at Meena Bazar near Jama Masjid as part of a beautification drive.

 ‘We direct the USIB to construct a shelter home at a nearby place where the earlier one was situated,’ said the bench, adding that a temporary shelter put up for them should not be removed.

The court directed the MCD to provide basic amenities, including water, in some of the shelter homes in the city.