Supreme Court, asks Lieutenant Governor of Delhi, to take appropriate steps to clear garbage

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has asked the Lieutenant Governor (LG) of Delhi to make a collaborative effort with the help of civil society and resident welfare associations to clear Delhi of its garbage.

A three-judge Bench led by Justice Madan B. Lokur turned to the LG after, in a previous hearing, voicing its exasperation at how garbage is dumped outside the homes of underprivileged families. Justice Lokur had even challenged authorities to dump rubbish outside the Raj Niwas, the official residence of the LG.

Earlier The office of LG and Delhi government told a bench comprising justices M B Lokur and Deepak Gupta that municipal corporations have the responsibility to deal with the issue of solid waste management. “This is nothing but passing on the buck,” an anguished bench said. The bench also termed as “utopian” the ‘state policy on solid waste management strategy’ which has been framed by the LG office and observed that perhaps it would be impossible to implement as the East Delhi Municipal Corporation and the North Delhi Municipal Corporation don’t have funds to carry out their day-to-day affairs.

How outside eatables will effect security protocol: Bombay High Court to Government

MUMBAI: The Bombay High Court asked the Maharashtra government to make it clear that allowing permission to take food items out of the multiplexes could threaten security. The High Court said, “What kind of security concerns can be caused by carrying food items in the theaters?

People are not prohibited from carrying food to any other public place besides cinema theatres,” it said, adding, “If people can be permitted to carry home food inside aircrafts, then why not theatres?

The court was reacting to the state government’s affidavit, filed on Tuesday, which said it did not think it was fit to tamper with the ban on bringing outside food to multiplexes as it might create security issues.

A Division Bench of Justices Ranjit More and Anuja Prabhudessai was hearing a public interest litigation filed by Jainendra Baxi through Advocate Aditya Pratap on Wednesday.

Court grants 2 mnths to CBI for obtaining sanction to prosecute accused in Aircel-Maxis case

New Delhi: A Delhi court today granted two months time to the CBI for obtaining sanction from authorities concerned to prosecute certain accused in a case against former Union minister P Chidambaram and his son Karti for alleged irregularities and criminal conspiracy in the Aircel-Maxis deal case. The agency had on July 19 filed charge sheet against the Congress leader, his son Karti, 10 individuals, including public servants, and six companies as accused in the case.

Special CBI Judge O P Saini allowed agency’s request to grant time after senior advocate Sonia Mathur told the court that sanctions are awaited. “Adjourn the matter for October 1,” the court said. Mathur, who appeared on behalf of the Central Bureau of Investigation, told the court that the agency was expecting sanctions for prosecution from concerned authorities in about four weeks.

The CBI is probing as to how Chidambaram, who was the Union finance minister in 2006, granted a Foreign Investment Promotion Board (FIPB) approval to a foreign firm, when only the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) was empowered to do it. The senior Congress leader’s role has come under the scanner of investigating agencies in the Aircel-Maxis deal of Rs 3,500-crore and the INX Media case involving Rs 305 crore.

In its charge sheet filed earlier in the case against former telecom minister Dayanidhi Maran, his brother Kalanithi Maran and others, the agency had alleged that Chidambaram had granted an FIPB approval in March, 2006 to Mauritius-based Global Communication Services Holdings Ltd, a subsidiary of Maxis. The Maran brothers and the other accused named in the CBI charge sheet were discharged by the special court, which had said the agency had failed to produce any material against them to proceed with the trial.