Nimbalkar murder case: Anna Hazare deposes before Mumbai court

Social activist Anna Hazare on Tuesday deposed before a special court in Mumbai as a prosecution witness in the 2006 murder case of Congress leader Pawanraje Nimbalkar.

Former Lok Sabha MP Padamsinh Patil is the key accused in the case.

Hazare, in his deposition before the trial court of judge Anand Yawalkar, said he knew Patil as an elected representative.

“There were allegations of corruption against him, for which I did an agitation and after that the government formed a commission under retired Supreme Court judge P B Sawant to inquire the matter,” Hazare told the court.

“I learnt about the murder of Nimbalkar through media. I also came to know through a media report that a contract was given to the shooters to kill me, following which I registered a case in this connection at Parner police station (in Ahmednagar district),” the anti-corruption crusader said.

Hazare said before filing the compliant, he wrote a letter to the government, but no action was taken.

His deposition came after the Supreme Court, setting aside a Bombay High Court order, recently directed the CBI to make Hazare a prosecution witness in the case.

The high court last year dismissed a plea of the deceased Congress leader’s wife Anandidevi Nimbalkar, seeking to make Hazare a witness in the case.

The high court then said it did not find anything to show that Hazare’s evidence would be useful to the case.

The deceased’s wife in her application claimed Hazare was an important witness as he was aware of the conspiracy hatched by the prime accused and former state minister Padamsinh Patil to kill the Congress leader.

Pawanraje Nimbalkar and his driver Samad Kazi were found shot dead inside the Congress leader’s car near Kalamboli on the Mumbai-Pune Express Highway on June 3, 2006.

The trial in the case began in July 2011.

According to the CBI, Patil hatched the conspiracy “to kill Nimbalkar out of political rivalry”.

The others accused in the case are Latur-based businessman Satish Mandade, corporator Mohan Shukla, Parasmal Jain, former state excise inspector Shashikant Kulkarni, Bahujan Samaj Party worker Kailash Yadav and alleged shooters Dinesh Tiwari, Pintu Singh and Chote Pandey.

In November 2012, the Supreme Court transferred the case to Mumbai from Alibaug as many of the witnesses turned hostile.

Mumbai court acquits Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal, 7 Others in 2014 Lok Sabha Election Rally Case

MUMBAI: A Mumbai court on Friday acquitted Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and seven others members for holding a rally in Mumbai during the 2014 Lok Sabha election. Acquitting Kejriwal and the others, Metropolitan Magistrate P K Deshpande observed that the police had failed to give the accused a written statement refusing them permission for the rally.

The accused were booked for holding an “unscheduled” rally in Mankhurd without prior permission from the Mumbai traffic police and were booked under various provisions of the Maharashtra Police Act.

Besides the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) chief, other prominent names acquitted were of activist Medha Patkar and Meera Sanyal. Except Patkar, all others were present for the hearing. All of them have to execute a personal bond of Rs 15,000 in cash.

In March 2014, a complaint was lodged against Kejriwal and the others at suburban Mankhurd police station. Police alleged that the rally was “unscheduled” and held without prior permission from the traffic police.

Court allows Malegaon blast accused to use laptops in jail

Court allows Malegaon blast accused to use laptops in jail
Court allows Malegaon blast accused to use laptops in jail

In a rare order, a Mumbai court hearing the 2008 Malegaon blast case today allowed some of the accused to use laptops inside the prison for work related to the case.

They won’t be able to access the Internet, though.

“The court allowed an application moved by four accused after we said we had no objection subject to some strict conditions,” said special prosecutor Avinash Rasal.

Accused Rakesh Dhawde, Ramesh Upadhyay, Sameer Kulkarni and Dayanand Pandey had requested the court to allow them to use laptops inside the Arthur Road jail here.

The court, however, imposed several conditions, Rasal said.

Among other things, the accused cannot access Internet on laptops, and must use them only for preparation of the case.

They would be able to use the laptops only during a specific time allotted by the jail authorities, the prosecutor added.

The laptops will have to be handed back to jail officials every evening; the court directed the jailer to preserve hard disks of the machines for three years after the completion of the trial.

Six people were killed and nearly 100 injured when a bomb strapped to a motorbike exploded at Malegaon in Nashik district of Maharashtra on September 29, 2008.

Twelve people, including Sadhvi Pragya Thakur and Army officer Prasad Purohit were arrested in the case under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA).

The National Investigation Agency, which took over the probe at a later stage, gave a clean chit to Thakur who was released on bail earlier this year.

( Source – PTI )

AAI cheque bounce case: Mumbai court issues NBW against Mallya

AAI cheque bounce case: Mumbai court issues NBW against Mallya
AAI cheque bounce case: Mumbai court issues NBW against Mallya

In more trouble for the promoter of defunct Kingfisher Airlines, Vijay Mallya, a metropolitan court in suburban Andheri here today issued a non bailable warrant against him in a case of cheque bouncing filed by the Airports Authority of India (AAI).

On May 7, Magistrate A A Laulkar had directed Mallya to appear before the court today failing which it will issue a NBW.

The NBW was issued following Mallyas non appearance today.

The court was hearing applications filed by AAI against M/s. Kingfisher Airlines in connection with two cheques of Rs 100 crores which were dishonoured.

The two applications filed by AAI sought cancellation of permanent exemption from court appearance granted to Mallya, who has since left the country amid an outcry over his airline defaulting on repayment of over Rs 9,000 crore to the banks, and sought an arrest warrant against him.

Earlier, AAIs lawyer had argued in the court that in view of cancellation of Mallyas passport, his lawyer may not be able to produce him in the court if the court orders so.

( Source – PTI )

Sheena case:CBI allowed to question Indrani and others in jail

Sheena case:CBI allowed to question Indrani and others in jail
Sheena case:CBI allowed to question Indrani and others in jail

A local court today permitted CBI to question the four accused in the Sheena Bora murder case, including Indrani Mukerjea, afresh.

The agency had sought permission to interrogate Indrani Mukerjea, her husband and former media baron Peter Mukerjea, her former husband Sanjeev Khanna and her former driver Shyam Rai for ten days in the jail.

“The application to interrogate the accused in the jail is allowed subject to their medical fitness,” said the special CBI court’s judge H S Mahajan.

CBI, which has already filed a charge sheet in the case, today said it was looking for more evidence against the accused and probing possible connivance of some other persons.

The arrested accused needed to be questioned again to “extract more information as well as to verify certain facts which emerged during the investigation”, the application said.

It also said that it wanted to unlock Peter Mukerjea’s mobile phone which is secured by thumb impression.

The court extended the judicial custody of all the four accused till March 17 when Indrani’s bail application is also slated to be heard.

Peter and Indrani were produced in the court together for the first time after his arrest today. The two, however, didn’t look at each other during the hearing.

Rai today filed an application seeking a transfer to another jail from the Arthur Road prison here. He was under mental stress due to the “prevailing circumstances”, he said.

But the judge Mahajan dismissed the plea, saying that transfer was an administrative matter and it was not desirable on the part of the court to pass orders.

The court asked Rai to approach the senior jail officials with his grievances.

Sheena (24), Indrani’s daughter from an earlier relationship, was allegedly murdered in April 2012 and her body was disposed of in a forest in Raigad district. The murder came to light only in August 2015.

( Source – PTI )

Kejriwal appears before Mumbai court in 2014 rally case

Kejriwal appears before Mumbai court in 2014 rally case
Kejriwal appears before Mumbai court in 2014 rally case

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal today appeared in acourt here in connection with a case for allegedly holding a rally without required permission during the 2014 Lok Sabha polls.

On December 9 last year, the Kurla court had granted Kejriwal permanent exemption from appearance in the case. However, Magistrate Richa Khedekar had directed the AAP leader to appear today for furnishing a bail bond.

The magistrate today allowed the Delhi CM to leave after his aide Satish Jain stood as his surety.

The rally in Mankhurd was held to campaign for AAP candidates Meera Sanyal and Medha Patkar, which theMumbai Police has claimed was “unscheduled” and held without priorrequisite permissions from traffic police following which a complaint was filed against Kejriwal and others in March 2014.

Kejriwal had approached the Bombay High Court seeking quashing of the FIR and exemption from appearing before the Kurla metropolitan magistrate.

But the HC asked him to appear before the magistrate and seek permanent exemption from appearance from that court.

( Source – PTI )

13/7 blasts: Police remand of four accused extended

A Mumbai court Saturday extended the police custody of four accused in the July 13 serial blasts that killed 27 people and injured over 100 here, a lawyer said.

“The court has extended the remand of Haroon Rashid Abdul Hamid Naik and another accused Nain Wazeer Chand Patrija till Feb 24,” defence lawyer Sharif Shaikh told.

“Police custody of another two accused Naqi Ahmed Vasi Ahmed Shaikh and Nadeem Akhtar Ashfaque Shaikh was Friday extended to Feb 27,” he added.

Mumbai ATS had on Jan 23 arrested two suspects – Naqi and Nadeem in the case. The Anti Terrorism Squad (ATS) was also investigating Naik’s role into the financial trail and the conspiracy in this case.

Naik had been nabbed from the Mumbai international airport on charges of possessing fake currency notes on Aug 22, 2011 and since then was lodged in jail. Patrija on the other hand was arrested Jan 30 from Ghaziabad near Delhi.

An ATS official said that Naik had also met Al Qaeda chief Osama Bin Laden in Pakistan in 2001 and trained under him.

According to the ATS, Naik alleged used hawala channels to fund the triple blasts in Mumbai last year. He was also known to Sheikh Omar, the killer of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, and Aftab Ansari, the mastermind of 2002 American Center attack in Kolkata.

Three blasts at close intervals, on July 13 last year, shook the country’s diamond and gold hubs – Opera House and Zaveri Bazar – and a busy commercial area of Dadar, killing at least 27 people and leaving around 125 injured.

 

 

Mumbai molesters sent to judicial custody

A Mumbai court on Friday remanded four youths, charged with the killing of two young men who protested their attempts to harass their women friends, in judicial custody till Nov 18, police said.

The four accused – Deepak Thival, 18, Sunil Bodhe, 20, Jitendra Rane, 25, and Satish Dulhaj, 35, were arrested for assaulting Keenan Santos, 25, and Reuben Fernandez, 27, Oct 20 which led to the two young men’s deaths to the outrage of Mumbai and the entire state.

The four accused are charged with attacking Santos and Fernandez after Rane allegedly harassed and teased Santos’ girlfriend outside a restaurant in the north-west suburb of Andheri, said the official from D.N. Nagar police station.

Following the vehement protests by Santos, Fernandez and their other friends, Rane went away.

However, he returned sometime later with 20 others, started beating the objectors mercilessly with sticks and cricket stumps and brutally stabbed Santos and Fernandez.

While Santos succumbed to his injuries the same evening, Fernandez was taken to a hospital but died Oct 31.

Even as police swung into action and managed to nab the accused within hours, and also recovered the weapons used in the killing soon afterwards, the incident triggered a wave of strong protests on social networking sites and the media.

Police assert that the accused have confessed to their crimes and the authorities have a solid case against the arrested men.