1. Short title and commencement. (1) This Act may be called the
1*[Union territories] (Laws) Act, 1950.
(2) It shall come into force on the 16th day of April, 1950.
2. Power to extend enactments to certain Union territories. The
Central Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, extend to 2*[the Union territory of Delhi, Himachal Pradesh, Manipur or Tripura or to any part of such territory], with such restrictions and modifications as it thinks fit, any enactment which is in force in a 3*[State] at the date of the notification; 4***.
3. Extension of laws to Tripura, Vindhya Pradesh, and Manipur.
(1) The Acts and Ordinances specified in the Schedule to the Merged
States (Laws) Act, 1949 (59 of 1949.), are hereby extended to, and shall be in force in, the States of Tripura and Vindhya Pradesh, as they are generally in force in the territories to which they extend immediately before the commencement of this Act.
(2) 5*[Subject to the provisions contained in sub-section (2A), the Acts and Ordinances referred to in sub-section (1)], are hereby extended to, and shall be in force in, the State of Manipur as they are generally in force in the territories to which they extend immediately before the commencement of this Act:
Provided that the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860), in its application to the State of Manipur shall have effect as if–
(a) in section 361, for the word “eighteen” the word
“fifteen” had been substituted, and
(b) in section 375, for the word “sixteen” in clause Fifthly the word “fourteen” had been substituted, and for the word “fifteen” in the Exception the word “thirteen” had been substituted.
6*[(2A) The Acts specified in Part A of the Schedule to this Act shall not extend to the State of Manipur, and the Acts specified in
1. Subs. by the Adaptation of Laws (No. 2) Order, 1956, for “Part C
2. Subs. for certain words, ibid.
3. Subs., ibid., for “Part A State”.
4. Certain words omitted by Act 48 of 1952, s. 3 and Sch. II.
5. Subs. by Act 68 of 1956, s. 2, for certain words (from 1-1-1957).
6. Ins. by s. 2, ibid.
126.Part B thereof shall extend to, and be in force in, that State only as from the date of commencement of the Union Territories (Laws)
Amendment Act, 1956 (68 of 1956), and shall, with effect from that date, be amended in the manner and to the extent specified in the said
(3) For the purpose of facilitating the application in the said
States of any such Act or Ordinance as aforesaid, any Court or other authority may construe the Act or Ordinance with such alterations not affecting the substance as may be necessary or proper to adapt it to the matter before the Court or other authority.
1*[Explanation.–For the purposes of this section and section 4, any reference to the State of Manipur or Tripura in relation to any period after the 31st October, 1956, shall be construed as a reference to the Union territory of Manipur or Tripura as the case may be.]
4. Repeals and savings. Section 7 of the Delhi Laws Act, 1912 (13.of 1912.), the Ajmer-Merwara (Extension of Laws) Act, 1947 (52 of
1947.), and any law which immediately 2*[before the coming into force of any Act or Ordinance extended by this Act to any of the States of
Manipur, Tripura and Vindhya Pradesh is in force in that State and corresponds to the Act or Ordinance as so extended], are hereby repealed:
Provided that the repeal shall not affect–
(a) the previous operation of any such law, or
(b) any penalty, forfeiture or punishment incurred in respect of any offence committed against any such law, or
(c) any investigation, legal proceeding or remedy in respect of any such penalty, forfeiture or punishment,
and any such investigation, legal proceeding or remedy may be instituted, continued or enforced, and any such penalty, forfeiture or punishment may be imposed, as if this Act had not been passed:
Provided further that, subject to the preceding proviso, anything done or any action taken, including any appointment or delegation made, notification, order, instruction or direction issued, rule, regulation, form, bye-law or scheme framed, certificate, patent, permit or licence granted or registration effected, under such law shall be deemed to have been done or taken under section 2 or, as the case may be, under the corresponding provision of the Act or Ordinance
3*[as extended] to the State by section 3, and shall continue in force accordingly, unless and until superseded by anything done or any action taken under the said section 2 or, as the case may be, under the said Act or Ordinance.
1. Ins. by Act 68 of 1956, s. 2 (from 1-1-1957).
2. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for certain words.
3. Subs. by s. 3, ibid., for “as now extended”.
[See section 3 (2A)]
Acts not extended to Manipur by this Act.
Year Number Short title
1 2 3.———————————————————————-
1866 XXI The Converts Marriage Dissolution Act, 1866.1872 XV The Indian Christian Marriage Act, 1872.2* * * * *
1879 XVIII The Legal Practitioners Act, 1879.———————————————————————-
Acts extended to Manipur by this Act as from the commencement of the Union Territories (Laws) Amendment Act, 1956.———————————————————————-
Year Number Short title Amendments (if any)
1 2 3 4.———————————————————————-
1873 X The Indian Oaths Act, In section I, for the
1873. second paragraph, the following paragraph shall be substituted, namely:–
“It extends to the whole of India except the State of Jammu and
1882 IV The Transfer of Pro-
perty Act, 1882. ..
1887 VII The Suits Valuation
Act, 1887. ..
1898 V The Code of Criminal (1) In section 1, in
Procedure, 1898. sub-section
(2), the words
“and the Union territory of
Manipur” shall be omitted, and
(2) in section
93A, in sub-se-
ction (1), the words “or in the
Union territory of Manipur”
shall be omitted.
1908 V The Code of Civil In section I, in
Procedure, 1908 sub-section (3), the word “and”
at the end of clause (c), and clause (d) shall be omitted.
1925 XXXIX The Indian Succession
Act, 1925. ..